Chapter 13

Delilah Meets Her Match

Chapter 13

**********************************

Amy arrived home to find everything topsy turvy. Her mother was busy helping Mrs. Hawksworth prepare for the wedding of her brother Benjamin and Delilah and it was canning time on top of that. When she first received her mother's letter telling her about Benjamin and Delilah, she couldn't believe that her brother would fall for that snob. She wrote, asking her mother what he could be thinking. Her mother tried to explain, but she thought that she was just trying to smooth things over. Now that she was here, and could see for herself, she saw that what her mother said was true. Delilah had changed and was actually a very different person and she looked forward to having her for a sister-in-law.

The one part of her mother's letter that really excited her was the fact that Adam and Ruth were expecting. She was going to be an Aunt. Her mother had also written and told her about the Holmbees getting their farm back and leaving, which would have been fine if Ruth hadn't gotten kicked by a cow which led to Adam demanding that she not go near them any more until after the baby was born. Because it was a busy time for Adam in the fields her mother and father were forced to take over the dairy. That led, to her surprise, to Delilah and Ezra offering to take over the milking.

When she returned home her parents asked her to help with the milking, too. Of course it was understood that when she went back to school she would only be able to help in the evenings and on weekends. Her first time helping was an eye opener. She would never have believed it of Delilah if she hadn't seen it with her own eyes. She was amazed once again at the total transformation. Of course Ezra had always said that she wasn't always bad. He had blamed it on the crowd that she had started to run with. Amy decided that he was right; her bad associates had been a bad influence. Once removed from them she was able to get back to her old self.

Amy was disappointed that Jacob and Jasmine couldn't come back with her and their parents. They had to take care of their dairy and would only be able to come for a couple of days for the wedding. Their neighbor, Stephen Lassiter, agreed to do the milking for them but could only manage it for those two days. She missed them, especially Jacob. She never said anything to anyone but she was secretly in love with him. Also, Mr. and Mrs. Worthington were staying with Ruth and Adam, who had moved into the old house, so she didn't have the privilege of her endless chats with Ruth like she used to. As a result her friendship with Delilah grew.

Benjamin was a little aggravated. He was beginning to wonder if their wedding date was ever going to be set. This was the longest engagement he had ever heard of. And then to top it off, he couldn't be alone with Delilah anymore because Amy was constantly around. They milked the cows together and came to town together. If he went to Delilah's she was there. He loved his sister but she could be a nuisance. He decided that enough was enough and headed over to Delilah's house.

Waiting in the sun room for Delilah to appear Benjamin wasn't surprised when Amy came in ahead of her. He said; "Will you please excuse us because I need to talk to Delilah alone."

"Sure, I'll be upstairs looking through the magazines for ideas."

After Amy left Benjamin turned to Delilah, took her hand and said; "I was hoping we could take a stroll in the garden where we can be private because I have something I need to talk to you about."

Benjamin's tone and request made Delilah a little nervous. She wondered if he was fixing to break the wedding off. They hadn't had much time together recently and he might have been having second thoughts. Nodding her head yes she allowed him to lead her out the French doors. "What did you want to talk to me about?"