Chapter 11

After the season the Pens had, nobody expected them to make a deep playoff run, but none of them were expecting to face elimination after only 5 games.

"Let's go boys! Playin for our life's here." Rowan hyped as they made it onto the ice for the first.

Madison Square Garden was rocking in Blue, Red, and White and all were cheering against the Penguins.

The first period was a clear example of home ice advantage, the Rangers out shooting the Pens and by the intermission the Pens were thankful it was only 1-0.  The second intermission was full of hope and determination. Half way through the second Nick Spaling put a gleam of confidence back into the black and gold. 

The third period came and went without any goals and a minimal amount of penalties.

Overtime, exciting and terrifying all at the same time. And this time it would end in either joyous celebration or crushing defeat.

But despite the newfound confidence and hope, when Carl Hagelin put the puck in the back of the net; it translated to a crushing defeat for Pittsburgh. (Oh Hags, the irony!)

Handshakes lines and miserable post game interviews were over and the short flight back to Pittsburgh was quiet except for the occasional sniffle of someone letting the reality set in.

Rowan quietly made her way to her car and sat inside for a few minutes and let the reality sink in. She was supposed to come here and fix everything. She had a record breaking year and now she didn't even make it past the first round. Damn.

When she finally got home she saw a note from her dad on the kitchen table 'Sorry it ended too soon Row. I'm at the rink going over some stuff. I'll be home late, don't wait up. Love you, Dad' she read the note a sighed, wishing he was here.

All she wanted to do was curl up with her dog, a glass of wine, a movie and try to forget and focus on Worlds and the offseason. Her night was cut short when the doorbell rang.

"I swear who ever this is gonna get a foot shoved somewhere they don't like, ruining my damn night." She grumbled as she trudged towards the door. "What do you wa- Sidney?"

"Rowan. Hi." He said, hastily wiping what looked like a tear from his cheek, "I came to talk to your dad, but if he's not here I can-" he pointed back towards his car.

"No!" She stopped him, "you don't have to leave. If you want to come in and have a drink your more than welcome." She stepped out of the doorway, letting him come in.

Rowan poured a second glass of wine as Sidney took off his coat and made it to the couch.

"So, why'd you come over?" She said, sitting, leaning against the arm of the couch, her finger tapping on the side of the wine glass she held.  Sidney sighed, his hand tracing a pattern into his jeans as he stared blankly ahead of himself.

"I just wanted to talk to your dad. He always helps when the season gets cut short."

"You look like you've been crying, Sid." She placed a hand on his thigh, and he inhaled sharply. "What's really wrong? I know it's not just the season ending." 

"I feel like it's never enough. It's always never enough. I'm always never enough." He rambled, putting his head in his hands.

She sighed, feeling the same pain he was feeling, and placed a hand on his back, rubbing small circles, "You're the star, the captain, everybody wants you to score all the goals and win every game."

"Sounds like you understand me completely. Like you've been here before." He smiled.

"Every year in Philly. Being on this pedestal sucks, but we get to wake up everyday and play hockey. We do what we love and sometimes we don't get to do it as long as we want, but we did do better than lots of other teams. And while it's not Stanley, we get to go play for gold in Prague. After that we can enjoy our summer and focus on next season."

"You have a better attitude about this than I do." Sidney chuckled, "Thank you, Rowan. I needed to hear that."

"It's no problem Sidney." She moved to hug him and placed her chin on his shoulder.

Sidney heartbeat quickened and he wrapped two muscular arms around her mid-section, squeezing tightly. Between the calm and comforting vibe Rowan had and the wine, he let out a sigh and let his emotions get the best of him when a few tears dripped onto her shirt.

"I love you." He silently breathed into her hair.