xxvii. | i hate carnivals

Start from the beginning

"Well, looks like we have to talk to Bobby, or someone, but for now, let's sleep," Emery stated, laying her head down and closing her eyes.

It felt like seconds when she was opening them again, a stream of sunlight through the back window waking her up. The girl then proceeded to wake up the Winchesters, before she got out of the vehicle. Emery stretched, feeling her muscles tighten then relax.

Sleeping in that car wasn't as nice as in the Impala. Dean should really get on fixing it. Oh, wait.

Sam got them a job.

They grabbed their stuff out of the stupid van, Dean making sure to grabbed the license plate, before they were ready to go.

"You think they saw our plates?" Sam asked, shoving something into the backpack the was carrying.

Emery had already slung the one she was wearing over her back and was ready to start hiking.

"I don't want to take the chance," Dean slammed the back of the van closed. "Besides, I hate this freaking thing anyway."

The three walked for a while in silence. It was easily the most awkward it had been between the boys, and Emery could feel the tension around them. Sure, they acted like it wasn't there, but ever since John died, it seemed to be ever present.

"One thing's for sure, we aren't dealing with a spirit," Dean stated. "Like I said last night, the rock salt hit something hard."

"Yeah, a person or maybe a creature that can make itself invisible," Sam stated, looking at the man beside him.

"Yeah and dresses up as a clown for kicks," Dean stated.

"What I don't get, is why the kids even invite it in, in the first place. When I was that young, I would have been terrified if a clown showed up at my house at two a.m.," Emery stated, before shaking her head. "Kids these days."

"Does it say anything in Dad's journal?" Dean asked, ignoring what Emery just said. The brunette rolled her eyes at that.

"Nope," Sam stated. He then took out his phone.

"Who you calling?" Dean asked, squinting because of the sun.

"Maybe Ellen or that guy Ash will know something," Sam stated. Before he opened his flip phone, he let out a chuckle. "Hey, you think -uh- you think that Dad and Ellen ever had a thing?"

Dean glanced at Emery, before turned back to look ahead. "No way."

"Then why didn't he tell us about her?"

Dean shrugged. "I don't know, maybe they had some sort of falling out?"

"Yeah," Sam stated, looking down at the phone screen to check the number he just dialled, before putting it to his ear. "You ever notice Dad had a falling out with just about everybody?" They walked a couple steps, Sam looking at Dean as he listened to the ringing in his ear. The taller man took the phone from his ear, hanging it up. "Well, don't get all maudlin on the man."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, this strong, silent thing of yours. It's crap. I'm over it."