xxvii. | i hate carnivals

Beginne am Anfang

The two kids screamed, making Emery cringe, before facing the boy.

"How can I help you," she asked, looking at the boy.

"Well, I just have a few questions about the ride," the boy said.

"Well, I think it's called the Zipper or something."

"And what about the attendant? What's your name?"

"Kid, do you wanna go on the ride?" Emery asked, as she got up to let another person off.

The nineteen year old let the kids behind him go. Emery rolled her eyes as she strapped them in.

"My name's Ryder," the boy said, giving her a breathtaking smile.

Emery looked back in the line, to see a couple girls giggling and pointing at him. "I think you have a fan club."

"It's just my sister's friends, they have a crush on me or something. So, your name?"

"If I give you my name, will you go on the ride?"

"Probably. But I still wanna talk to you after."

"It's Emery, now come on."

The kid came back after his ride and kept flirting and talking. Emery actually enjoyed it, though the kid was too young for her.

Dean and Sam came over a few minutes later, Dean wrapping an arm around her waist, pulling her away from the ride controls and Ryder. He looked back with a look on his face that Emery couldn't decipher, before she realized something.

"Dean, I gotta call the replacement," Emery stated. Dean walked her back to the front of the line, and to the controls, where a phone sat.

Emery was quick to call, letting them know she was going to be going for her break. As they were waiting, Emery chatted with Ryder some more, which made Dean pull her flush against him.

When Emery saw the red coat trying to make their way up to the controls, she said her farewell to Ryder, before she was pulled away by Dean, who was following after Sam.

☪✡

Emery sat in the van, waiting for Dean and Sam to get back. She knew they would somehow mess this up and stated that she was going to be a get away driver.

Not even ten minutes after Sam and Dean had rushed into the house, they were rushing out. Both of them climbed into the back seat and Emery let them close the door before she was speeding away.

"So, what was it?" Emery asked as she looked around. She was looking for a good place to dump the car.

When she did, she pulled into the wooded area, stopping the van to make it look like an abandoned car.

"Well, it definitely wasn't a spirit. Rock salt hit something hard," Dean stated.

Emery knew they were going to have to sleep in here, so she leaned the seat back and looked at the boys.

"And let me guess, it got away?" Emery asked.

"Jumped through the window on a door, actually," Sam stated. "You know, after it turned invisible."