Sazanaara

~Kimiko’s POV~

I was still confused about what happened back on the train.  When we arrived, everyone wanted to look around and I gladly joined, staying as far from ‘Tsurugi’ as possible. I looked around and saw everyone giving us hostile looks. I looked into their mind to see what they were thinking, but at that moment, they turned away. I was confused for a second but I shrugged it off.

Mizukawa had told us the people of this planet have powers, and I was quite curious to find out what kind. Soon enough though, we got challenged by a group from the opposing team and played a little match against them. Somehow, they knew how we’re going to move and who we would pass the ball to. Then it hit me.

I looked into their minds and saw it. They can see our movements. They didn’t predict, they have the ability to see our minds like me! I stopped looking into their minds and started blocking my own. I have a secret that no one, not even my best friend knows about, and I can’t just let some stranger look into my mind. The leader of the group probably noticed me doing so because he smirked at me for barely a second. I glared as I read his thoughts.

Maybe you can block your own mind, but you can’t block your friends’.

I sighed as the other groan about how we lost the match. Mizukawa told them about their powers and everyone was quite surprised. Matatagi looked concerned for some reason, but I know its bad manners to look into someone’s private thoughts.

He went into his room while I head to my own. I locked the door and turned off the lights. I can’t let anything distract me. I concentrated to find Tsurugi. But it was pretty hard because I had to block my own mind from being read by those citizens.

I didn’t manage to get through to him though, so I just lay on the bed and sighed. Soon, I fell asleep.

Dream Sequence~

I was holding out 4 hope crystals. Tsurugi held out a gun towards me.

“Give me those crystals.” He said.

“What’s wrong with you?!” I asked, shocked and scared at the same time.

“Give them to me!” he demanded, fury shown in his eyes.

I reached for my ampule gun, but I was a second late. He shot a bullet through my chest.

Dream End~

I woke up with a start. I looked around my room in panic for a second before I calmed down, but I was still sweating. I covered my face with a palm. A dream… just a stupid dream… No… a nightmare is more like it. He’d never do something like that, would he? And that wasn’t even the real Tsurugi… was it? I shook my head and turned on the lights. Once I looked at the mirror, I realized my hair was a mess. After tidying up I went outside to see the others practicing.

“There you are!” said Aoi. “Where have you been? We were all so worried about you!”

“Sorry.” I said, smiling. “I just got a bit tired so I went to sleep for a bit.”

“You could have told us.” Said Sakura, from the field.

I just laughed sheepishly and went to help Aoi with the drinks and towels. After giving them all their drinks I went over to Konoha, who was watching Tsurugi very closely.

“Is something wrong Konoha-chan?” I asked.

She looked up at me and then looked down again. “W-well it’s um…”

“Go on.” I encouraged her.

“I’ve been getting a weird feeling about Tsurugi-kun lately.” She said quietly.

I narrowed my eyes. “You too huh?” she seemed surprised that I said ‘too’ but just nodded in response.

“What kind of weird feeling?” asked Sakura, who suddenly came up beside me.

“I’m not sure but…” Konoha aid hesitating a bit. “Tsurugi-kun never used his towel like that…” I looked over at him and blinked. He looked at my direction for a minute and I instantly turned my head back to Konoha.

“How can you tell?” I asked, my voice cracking a bit. Lucky enough, no one noticed.

“Yeah, it’s pretty impressive that you know that after knowing him for only a short time.” Said Sakura.

“I know a lot about everyone here. You stare at yourself in the mirror for 20 minutes.” Konoha said.

“I-it’s called personal grooming!” said Sakura in her defense.

Then, he walked over to us. “Is something wrong?” he asked.

“No.” I answered him, my voice colder than I meant it to be.

“We were just wondering if you’re ok. You’re not acting like yourself lately.” Said Sakura.

“I’m fine.” He answered casually. “I’m just confused on how to beat this planet’s representatives is all.”

“I knew it.” Said Sakura happily. “I was thinking about a strategy…”

I didn’t hear the rest of it because I already left. I just can’t stand being around that imposter. I told Aoi that I’ll be back on the train and left. I locked the door to my room and my back slid down the door. Little by little I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. I had no idea why but I just started sobbing on the spot.

~Tenma’s POV~

It’s the day of the match and I’m walking down the hallway of the train. I looked over the door that lead to Kimiko’s room and sighed. She still hasn’t come out yet. Gently, I knocked on the door.

“Kimiko? It’s me, Tenma. Are you in there?” I asked carefully.

After a while, the door opened just a bit and I saw her peeking out. Her face was quite pale and her eyes were dull, as if she’s been crying. We haven’t heard from her since last night and she would come out until now.

“Is something wrong?” I asked. She shook her head and turned away for a bit.

“It’s nothing. Just a bit homesick I guess…” by the tone of her voice, I can guess she’s lying, but I’m not the one with the right to judge. I didn’t want to press the matter so I just nodded as she locked the door again.

Then I left to find the one person she can definitely talk to. “Tsurugi? Are you there?” I asked, knocking to the door of his room, across the hall.

After a bit of waiting he opened the door. “Yes?” he asked.

“Hey uh… I was wondering if you’ve talked to Kimiko yet.” I said to him.

“Kimiko?” he asked with an eyebrow raised.

“Yeah,” I said. “Haven’t you noticed how strangely she’s been acting? I was wondering if you’ve asked her what’s wrong, since you knew her best.”

He seemed taken back for a second before shaking his head. “I haven’t… exactly noticed.”

“Really?” Now this is confusing. He still hasn’t asked? Tsurugi had always paid a lot of attention to Kimiko. For him to not noticed, that’s very unusual. “Well then, maybe you should ask her after the match. She trusts you more than anyone of us, so I’m sure she’ll let out whatever’s bothering her over to you right?” and with that said, I left.

An hour later, it was time for the match. The team of this planet was really hard to get by but we manage to pull through to the very end! We found out more about who Matatagi really is and how he’s really like. And now, we’ve got two more SOULs on our team thanks to both Matatagi (falcon) and Minaho (owl). I saw Katra again he led me to place where I found our second Hope Fragment.

Then we set off to the next planet.