Chapter 1

It was that time of year again. The time to pack up and leave, for another foster family. My parents died when I was five. I didn't even know them for long, never having a real family. Parties, boys, music and friends are what I spend my time on. Many people have told me that I'm a bad influence and that I need to grow up and be more responsible which I have done. I have good grades and I'm very quiet in school, not like the shy type but I don't get into trouble very often. That part about me changes when I'm with my best friends though. We are inseparable, like we were sisters who have almost everything in common with each other. I've moved a lot since I'm in foster care, but I always made sure that it wasn't too far away from them. I told the foster home worker, Danielle, that I only want to go to the same school and keep in the same neighborhood, which was a little harder than it sounds since I have lived with almost half of the town's population.

Fortunately, the neighborhood is very, very, large and so I still have quite a few houses to consider. I have been put in fourteen different foster homes in my entire lifetime since I was five and I turned seventeen last year. I like my life and I would like to make the most out of it, no matter how hard it gets sometimes I always try to stay happy and try to fill my life with joy, hence why I made friends with the weirdest, funniest girls I have ever met. I just wish, that I hadn't lost my parents, but that is in the past and all I can do now is try to live my life and make them proud. I've learnt to cope with it with the help of my friends, and I always keep my head up not letting anyone bring me down. Today was the last day of summer vacation and I spent the day catching up on all the work I was supposed to do but didn't get to it. If only I could tell the teacher that I was too busy having fun and going out almost every night. It was only late at night when I realized that I have been busy with work for about six hours, so I shut off my laptop, packed my bag for school, and got ready for bed. I laid in bed for a little while longer just thinking about the year to come, and how much it was going to be. With all the thoughts running through my mind, my eyes starting drifting close, and I went to sleep with a smile on my face.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

My alarm went off repeatedly irritating me with its high-pitched scream in my ears. I slammed it hard with my hand, stopping myself from picking it up and throwing it into the toilet, sitting upright in bed. I was excited to go to school again, but my mind felt fuzzy and tired from just waking up, making me wish I could just close my eyes and sleep the summer off. I wondered if it was possible to still be hungover from all the nights, I spent partying. I thought back to some of the events and laughed to myself. It was down right the best summer of my life, and I wouldn't change a thing.

I got up and brushed my teeth turning on the hot water to the shower, the mirror fogging up as the room steamed like a sauna. I got out of the walking to my closet to pick an outfit for the day. I chose black vans a royal blue tank top and black ripped jean shorts. I hardly ever dressed up, but I do like to get all cleaned up once in a while. I was more of a nerdy type that would rather a printed tee with superheroes or Star Wars on it than wearing flower blouses and skirts. I took one last glance in the mirror and shrugged, this is how I choose to look and I'm comfortable with it, and I don't care what anybody else says.

As I made my way downstairs, I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith in the kitchen eating breakfast, having a conversation about the news and what Mrs. Green's daughter next door did this summer, that got her into trouble. I sat down after grabbing some cereal and greeted them with a minimum of words, not really wanting to talk with them since I hardly know them. I didn't make a lot of small talk while I lived with them since I live by one rule. I don't get attached to my foster parents, and I guess that's one of the many reasons they keep sending me to different homes. That and the reason that no one wants a full-grown teenager and would rather have a sweet little eight-year-old girl with pigtails and a missing front tooth, who has gotten all her badges in girl scouts.

I said I quick goodbye after dropping my bowl inthe sink, not making eye contact, and walked through the front door out intothe sunny day. I got in my car and was about to drive off to school, singingalong to my favorite songs, turning up the volume so loud it felt like mybrain was shaking along with the windows. I heard my phone beep and I checkedto see that I have a message from Danielle, and opened it immediately, pullingover for a short moment to not crash my car. I felt tears wanting to rush to myeyes, but I held them back and took a deep breath starting the engine and drivingto the one place I know would be empty right now. It was a small park that I usedto play in and it's kind of got quiet after a while, since a new park opened upclose to it with better jungle gyms. When I got there, I sat on one of theswings, looking at the messages again, and let the tears roll down my cheeks, mybody shaking with each sob. I felt like my world was slowly being torn apartand I felt my stomach churning as my mind tried to figure out what I was goingto do.