Chapter Three

The years had worn on much the same; Olive would follow Tom around loyally and Tom would pretend that he was just barely putting up with her presence. Secretly, however, Tom had grown quite friendly with the girl, growing accustomed to her bubbly personality and easy going nature. Olive was so very different from him, but it was a difference that he had found to be refreshing. 

Olive had not been the only one to notice the peculiar things that Tom was able to do, though she was the only one who had never been a victim of his evil antics. Tom had done everything from causing children's sock to spontaneously combust, or turning their skin odd colors when they had gotten on his nerves. The worst thing of all that Tom had done was turn Mark's bed into a pool of water while he was sleeping. Mark had nearly drowned to death before anyone had rushed in to save him. 

Tom was forced into a month of solitude for that act, though he always seemed to have a way of disappearing under the noses of those in charge. Tom knew nothing of obeying the rules, only caring to have everything his way. By the time that Tom had turned eleven, everyone at Wool's had grown to fear him with a passion; everyone except for Olive. 

It was summer time, and while most of the children had taken to the outdoor activities, Olive and Tom were seated inside. Olive was chatting away happily with him while he stared absentmindedly at his half eaten plate of food. The gray haired lady that Olive had first met on her arrival here had grown much older looking as the years passed; she had walked with a cane now. The lady came over and addressed Tom with the news. "Tom, someone is here to see you." 

Tom had rarely gotten visitors; in fact, any of the children had rarely ever been visited by those on the outside. Tom, of all the children, was mostly seen by doctors and priests because the staff here had insisted that Tom Riddle was possessed or out of his mind. Tom growled at the announcement, clearly thinking of all his experience. "I don't wish for any visitors. Send them away." 

The lady protested firmly. "He says that it is crucial that he speaks with you, it is about.." 

Tom stood up, voice heated and fists clenched. "I don't give a fuck what it is about. I said no." 

Olive tugged on Tom's arm and he turned his face back to her, she nodded in the direction as an old, bearded man approached the table where they had been sitting. As soon as the man had reached the boy, he allowed the lady to leave, and opened his mouth to speak to Tom. His voice was very careful and kind. "Hello Tom." 

Tom said nothing to the man, his dark eyes steely. 

The man cleared his throat and continued. "My name is Professor Albus Dumbledore, and I have come to speak with you about what it is you can do." Albus made a gesture as if to invite Tom so they could speak in private, away from Olive's ears. "May I have a moment?" 

Tom sat back down firmly, kicking out an open chair. His voice was cold, and he prepared himself for what he had heard a million times before. "Whatever it is you have to tell me, sir, you can do so right here. I'll tell her as soon as you're gone anyways." 

Olive eyed the old man in wonder; he had seemed so old, but still in such great youth. His gray beard and hair had reached all the way down his back and his bright blue eyes were decorated with half-moon glasses. Olive smiled at the man politely. 

"Do you mind if I sit here?" Albus asked the girl. 

Olive shook her head and he took the seat. Albus cleared his throat once more and spoke to Tom in a business like tone. "Tom, do you know why I have come to speak with you?" 

Tom's voice was dull, repeating what he had explained to countless doctors before. "Because I can make things happen. I can do terrible things, unexplainable things." 

"Exactly, though I wouldn't call them terrible, Tom." Albus continued, still being very kind. "I have come to see you from a school. Hogwarts is a place where children like you are schooled and trained in the magical arts so as to better control your ability." 

"You mean a hospital." Tom interjected bitterly. "A place to 'make me better'." 

"Despite what other people have told you, Tom, you are not the only one who can do these things." Albus explained gently. "There are hundreds of children, all over the country like you. I, too, am like you." 

"Prove it." Tom spat. 

Albus blinked, and just then two silver ribbons had created perfect bows in Olive's hair. Olive gasped in amazement. Tom held back a strange wave of anger at the man who using magic on her. Albus continued, "I have brought you a letter, Tom, explaining the school and the supply list." Albus had stood up, preparing his exit. As he left the room, he turned in goodbye. "I am looking forward to teaching you, Tom. You won't regret it." 

As soon as the man had left, Tom glared at the empty space. "Loony old bastard." 

"I thought he was nice." Olive said simply, turning her attention back to her food. "Are you going to open that letter?" 

"No." Tom said simply. "I'm not going." 

Olive frowned. "Why not?" 

"Because, Olive, that man is fucking insane." Tom said it as if it were plain as day. 

Olive complained, pointing out the obvious. "And everyone else says that you are insane, too, Tom, but you aren't. If I were invited to go to a school with a bunch of cool kids like you, I'd go." 

"That's because you aren't like this, Olive. You can't do the things I do." Tom answered bitterly, his cold stare turned on her. 

"I don't see anything bad about it." Olive shrugged. "It hasn't hurt me." 

Tom didn't say anything, because that would have required admitting to her that she didn't bother him or that she was his friend. Tom stood up, threw away his food, and stalked off to his room.