State of Dreaming

Start from the beginning

"Hey," she said, giving him a playful scolding look. "Don't say that."

"Oh, please, he deserves it." He rolled his eyes. "He's a jerk and you know it."

"Kai, no." She crossed her arms, frowning. "That's not something you should say about your friend."

Kai chuckled humourlessly. "Are you serious? Are you actually defending him after what he did to you?"

"Well, it's not like it's his fault. I put him in that kind of situation, and although I am upset, I was the one who expected too much from him," she replied slowly, unnerved by the look Kai was giving her.

His mouth parted, slightly taken aback. "Are you kidding me?"

She raised a brow. "Uh, no."

He scoffed, taking his cap off and running a hand through his hair. "I can't believe this. You're actually on his side even though he hurt you?"

"Did you even listen to what I just said? It wasn't his fault, Kai. I put myself in that situation and he didn't have a choice. What can I do if he really doesn't like me? It's not like I can force him or anything."

"Oh my god," he scowled, shaking his head at her. "I can't believe this is happening right now."

She frowned. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" she asked, pulling Kai inside the kitchen so no one could hear them.

"It means that I can't believe you're still all over him despite what he did to you!" he hissed, crouching down to her level. "How are you still in love with him?"

Her eyes widened. "I never said I was in love with him!" she bit back. "And what? You think feelings can disappear overnight? Kai, I don't think you understand my situation right now so it's best for you to just get off my case."

"Oh, I know, Hyerin. I know full well how it feels like to be so into someone even though you know they don't like you back," he started heatedly. "The feeling of chasing someone like a love sick puppy and being so fucking stupid because you care for them so damn much. I know that feeling, Hyerin, and you know what sucks the most? It's when someone confronts you about it. When they tell you it's never going to happen."

His conversation with Baekhyun a few days ago passed his mind, sending another jolt of pain in his chest.

"It's the same for you. You know it's never going to happen."

"Excuse me?" she scoffed, backing away from disbelief.

"I don't understand why you like him so much when you know you're never going to be with Baekhyun! Why can't you settle for someone who actually likes you, Hyerin? Settle for someone who would take care of you and would give up everything for you?"

Her brows furrowed together. "What are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying that you're too caught up with him that you don't see the people who actually want to be with you!"

"Kai," she sighed, rubbing her temple, "this is getting out of hand. Let's just stop."

"No! I won't stop until you realize how I feel about you!"

"Wha-"

Kai interrupted her by pulling her waist and pressing his lips harshly against hers.

It was a simple kiss – their lips were not in a passionate tangle nor were they pulling each other closer. His hands were cupping her cheeks, eyes squeezed shut while Hyerin's dark orbs were wide in shock. Neither of them moved as if time just stopped right then and there.