Chapter 6: Leech Manor

LEECH MANOR

"Would you drop this attitude?" Daniel shouted, standing two feet taller than me. "They will kill you the second they sense weakness! And look me in the eyes when I talk!"

I breathed, controlling my tears, staring at my feet. I could barely feel them.

"Give her a break, Daniel, she's only fifteen!"

"Go away, Jane."

I silently prayed Jane would stay and make Daniel realize he was being too harsh. But then I heard footsteps leave the training room.

"No one is going to save you, Emily. Keep that in your mind! You need to save yourself! FIGHT BACK AND SAVE YOURSELF. Do you understand?"

I nodded, my head still bowed down as I fought tears.

"You need to cope with me here! Now what did I say about being saved?"

Was that a cross question?

"I need to save myself."

"I can't hear you! Louder!" he yelled at the top of his lung.

Jeez! You don't have to freaking damage my ears!

"Save myself," I said, quickly wiping a tear off my face. "I need to save myself!"

"Yes. And it's most likely your parents are looking over at you right now. You don't want to disappoint them, do you?"

I didn't reply, trying to swallow the thick knot of tears in the back of my throat. Why did he have to bring my parents in this? That was just too far.

From the corner of my eyes I could see the door and I wanted to leave, I really did, but I knew I had no other option but to do as the man said because I chose this for myself. I wanted to learn, and since my parents weren't around anymore, he was the best mentor I could have.

I looked up at him and straight into those intimidating brown eyes. "I'm ready. I'll do my best this time."

Daniel smiled, or I think he smiled because the corner of his lips tilted up at the corners.

"Let's start from where we stopped," he said.

I cringed but obliged.

I gave my back to Daniel as he held me in a headlock, his body pressed against my back, driving me into the uncomfortable zone again. But this time, I didn't let my emotions mess with me.

I yawned as I slowly woke up from my dream, curling into a ball on the bed. I could smell a deep scent of men's cologne. Men's cologne? I raised my arms and stretched them, the tip of my fingers making contact with something soft and warm, like skin. Skin? My eyes flew open and both hands flew to my mouth, clasping it before I could shriek at the top of my lungs.

Luke lay right beside me—just inches away from me—sprawled under the covers, only his head visible. His eyes were closed.

I blinked.

Still there.

I rubbed my eyes and blinked a few more times.

Nope, still there.