Prologue

Author's note: This book, previously known as That Bloody Painkiller, was published on Wattpad by my username Liminiara. But as I've changed a lot of cocept and rewritten most of it, I'm starting fresh with a new account to avoid confusion.

_____________________________________________________________________________

LOREANE'S POV

13th November 2011

Manhattan, New York

He was finally in sight, his extraordinary beauty much too heard of. A fair face. Eyes, blue like the ocean under pale moonlight. And hair black as darkness itself.

It was Luke Alexander, the heir to the vampire's throne and the most beloved creature walking on the very earth. Some called him the devil's advocate; some called him the devil himself. Others believed he was an angel in disguise.

For myself, as I peeked through his soul for the very first time, I could see a little boy weeping, separated from his family and sent far away. A boy wandering and lost, seeking and yearning a way out of the wickedness. A young man, too deep in the pit of hell to climb his way back up.

A damned soul, I thought pitifully.

And as if the vampire had known he'd earned a soft spot from me, he glanced towards me, his eyes incensed and lips twitched in a wry smile that tried to convince me otherwise.

Just before calling for the Guardian, which itself was another shock, Luke Alexander had bonded himself to a dying girl in order to save her life. Moments later, we came to know about his capricious act and the whole system was in chaos, trying to guess his motivation. The devil's favourite had walked out of his way once again. If we were happy about it, the devil had to be absolutely infuriated.

Luke could have called on the devil instead, make a deal with him to keep the girl safe. But it seemed that as much as he had learned to love malice, he did not disregard innocence. He knew well that the devil sought after the very innocent.

The Guardian, Zaelthus, gliding a foot above the ground, stood ten yards beyond Bethesda Terrace, while I stayed behind the trees.

"I wonder what has made you call me here," his smooth, heavenly voice said to Luke.

A smirk spread over the vampire's lips and he turned to look at the cloaked and handsome figure before him.

"I'm sure you know."

Zaelthus smiled. "I must say, you are an unpredictable man, Luke. What do you have to offer?" He paused. "And let me add, the devil may be furious."

This was responded with a small cackle of dry humour. "Don't worry about me, worry about all the innocent creatures you have failed to save."

"Hmm, if I'm not wrong, you are here to accept the position of Defense Dealer?"

Defense Dealer? A vampire Guardian? Was that even possible?

Luke rolled his eyes. "Is it that obvious?"

"Very well. I presume I don't need to go over the rules again."

Luke gave a nod in agreement and took the oath.

"I'm taking up this position with the intention of protecting the girl alone, however if my duty is to guard all innocents, so I shall."

His expressions, his demeanor were firm and assertive. I realized how he was an excellent choice to undertake the job. It was a simple theory: Give the sinner the work of the saint and he'll manipulate his way into accomplishing the goal effortlessly.

"I hope you know what you are doing, Luke. One more step towards the white, and you get ticked off by the devil."

"Aw, do I hear concern in your voice, Zaelthus?" Luke smirked. "That's just cute!"

If sarcasm had a limit, he was absolutely crossing it.

Before Zaelthus could say anything else, Luke waved him off. The soft spot I had for him was formatted to hate him and, if anything, I wanted to be ordered to kill the insolent brute.

"Something is about to change and I believe we all see it coming, don't we?" he said, his eyes beaming, bringing a sudden change to the tense atmosphere. "Be assured, I will take precautions, Zaelthus, but to me, the girl's well-being is what matters the most right now." He looked over at me coldly, making a shiver run up my spine. He noticed it and smiled smugly. "I'll protect the girl." There was a pause. "Even if it is the last thing I do."