Chapter Ten ( part one)

TALON KNIGHTLY

I brandished my Icylic sword at an invisible opponent thinking nothing about the alien who was once my addiction. Never in my life have I ever felt so heart broken. It was pathetic.

I was a warrior for heaven sake. I was supposed to be strong emotionally and physically. A good warrior never allowed such trifle emotions overshadow his mind. Loss made us weak and right this moment I was as weak as a soft minded toddler. I was only weak in the heart but not in strength.

As I swung my sword back and forth dancing elegantly in the backyard you'd presume I was grace and power all coiled in one. You'd assume that I was as lethal as venom and as poise as a cat in battle but I knew deep down I wouldn't be able to face any enemy with a weak mind. I was terribly unfocused. My thoughts were a jumbled mess. Who was I kidding? Orin's memory would forever remain in the forefront of my mind.

And unfortunately he was my weakness; my bane.

Dad strode to me and swatted my sword out of my grip with his own sword.

" What is this, Talon?"

" It's called drowning in my sorrows, Dad. You should try it sometime, " I muttered, plopping on the lawn.

He sat beside me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. " I honestly don't know why you are letting heartbreak shatter you. Yes, he is gone and he will never come back but you shouldn't let your mind dwell on him. You have to move on. There are more crucial things you should be focusing on, like completing your training.

" Talon, heed my words. It will get better with time. In a few years time Orin would be but a mere tickle in your mind, nothing more. Overcome these feelings you think you have of him," he said solemnly.

" It's not that easy Dad. God, you have no idea how I wish I never met him. It would've been better if he was just a fictional character, but he is real and right now he has probably forgotten about me." I glared at the lawn gripping it with my bruised hands.

We sat there in silence both deep in thought. Each day I woke up to an endless torture. Nightmares of the Azurak tournament and Orin gave me sleepless nights.

In my dreams I saw myself standing in a field. It was a battlefield of some sort. I stood over dead bodies and bloodied limps. My aqua blue attire was soiled with blood and sweat. My hair matted my forehead.

In my right hand was a glaera sword. I walked carefully over the dead bodies and went to a dark grey gleaming dias. The Emperor sat on and equally gleaming throne. His daughter and wife stood on either side of him.

The Emperor wore a twisted smirk on his face. As I stepped on the dias blood spread around me.

The scene of the dream would change and I would be seated on the throne. The Emperor would crown me with a crown that had jagged coloured pieces that were bound together with a platinum steel band.

I was the Azurak warrior in my dreams. I had fought aliens of all sizes and defeated them. Then suddenly wails of pain would pierce the silence. The princess would come forth carrying a dead Orin in her arms.

I always woke up at that heart wrenching sight. I couldn't bear seeing him like that. And the worst thing was that I was the one who killed him all for some tittle and a princess who didn't deserve my love.

I just sat on my bed till dawn. Going back to sleep was out of the question. Orin's dead body would be the first thing I saw if I dared to sleep.

I was exhausted beyond measure. Ofcourse I didn't bother to tell dad. I knew he'd make a big deal out of nothing.