"That will require you to open your mouth very wide. And if you ruin your lip gloss then Ash will kill me and justify the murder by saying that it was totally my fault and that I shouldn't have fed you burgers. Let's have pizza."

"Alright."

There were already lots of people there from our school, wearing dresses and tuxedos. We found a small table in the corner next to the window. He pulled out the chair for me like a gentleman. I blushed and sat.

He ordered. We ate without speaking, which suited me, because I wanted to sit and gaze at him and daydream for a while. Our spoons clinked together whenever we reached inside the shared chocolate sundae cup for a bite.

"Can I ask you something?" I said slowly.

"Sure."

"Why did it take you so long to ask me out? I mean," I nervously twirled the spoon in my fingers, "you knew you liked me for six months."

"Becaaause..." he hesitated, as if wondering whether to tell me or not, "I wasn't very sure if you liked me back, and I thought if I confessed my feelings, our friendship would get awkward. Or maybe I was just worried that you'd leave me for the same reason Abigail did. That you'd say that it was best to end it because you couldn't love me back the way I did."

I was flattered. "You...love me that much?"

"I love you more than I loved her."

I looked up. He was smiling at me. And I was kind of overwhelmed, I guess, because I stood up and leaned over the table and kissed him. It was a short, two-second kiss, and then I sat down quickly before anyone could see and start hooting and it could get embarrassing.

He looked at me silently, still smiling that smile I loved so much. I blushed. Then I asked, "Why?"

"Why," he repeated. He put his spoon down and leaned back in his seat. "Because you're not judgmental. Abigail was cool and wild and really nice and all, but she was judgmental and I had to think twice before saying anything to her. And whenever she came to my room, she would look at the bookshelf and say, 'Why do you read so much?' and that really annoyed me. But it's not like that with you. I never have to think about what I'm going to say before I say it to you. You find whatever I say funny. And I know I can act like an idiot in front of you and you won't mind."

"Whatever you say is funny."

"See?"

I laughed.

We sat in the car again and drove to school. "The thing is," he continued, "you are my best friend before being my girlfriend. I love that about us."

The bushes and trees in the yard were covered with strings of little yellow lights. A carpet stretched out up the path all the way to the gym doors. The muffled sound of music came from the gym.

He parked. I was about to get out when he cried, "Wait!" and got out. Then he came around to my side, opened my door and held out his hand. "May I?"

I got out and looped my arm through his. "You're adorable."

He shot me a goofy grin. "I know."

He walked me to the gym. We pushed open the double doors. The music was booming loudly through the speakers. A party song was on. The lighting was dim and the disco lights were flashing, people were dancing and yelling and taking pictures in a corner and making out, but mostly they were dancing.

He took my hand and led me through the crowd to a nice spot. We met Luke on the way, and he and Liam shook hands and gave each other awkward smiles. I was glad they weren't fighting anymore. We stood for a while in the aforementioned nice spot, and another song came up, and everyone cheered.