Door knocking

We had collected three boxes of badges hoping that Winter would join our campaign. We would always mention in passing what we were doing with the badges, carefully ensuring never to actively involve Winter but always leaving a door open so she could enter the conversation if she chose. She never did!

We had sold half of the badges so we consolidated the boxes into one full box and one half box. Our strategy was that people seeing a full box would want to help get our sales away and those seeing half a box would want to help us finish. Whether it was the strategy or us or the cause or whatever it was we seemed to be selling well today.

We were half way through Wattle Court. I was about to go into number eight when I noticed this was the only house in the street without a Wattletree outside it. As I was walking up the path I heard a car pull up in front of the next house; number nine which set my mind adrift and to thinking about the trees again. Absentmindedly thinking how good it was to see a street having in it the tree to which it was named after. There aren't any Elms in Elm Street and there are no Olives in Olive Court.

I rang the bell and then noticed the no hawker sign. Oops. I was about to turn and go when from the path behind me I heard someone say "Hello Winter" and then the door opened and a lady appeared with a beaming smile that quickly evaporated into a nasty snarl. I could feel the intensity of her eyes burning through me.

"What are you doing on my property holding Satan's goods? Be done with you girl! Away with you quickly now!"

She then appeared to notice the lady on the path behind me and waved her forward.

The lady on the path looked at me with those same burning eyes as if I were infected. She kept her eyes on me as she moved forward deliberately remaining more than arm's length away from me.

I stood traumatised trying to absorb what just happened.

The lady at the door said "come in sister" in a very polite and welcoming tone as I turned and walked swiftly down the path.

Summer met me at the gate saying "How did you go there; the people in number 7 said the family in there are members of  the Society of the Everlasting Providence and that you wouldn't get a very warm welcome."

"I didn't; very scary people" was all I could muster.

We finished in Wattle Court as the lady visiting number eight drove out of the court. The memory of that experience overwhelming me again. I suggested we call it a day we only had in total a half a box left to sell.

We went to the mall and not seeing Lucy we decided to go into Daisy's for a milkshake. I decided on Blue Heaven and Summer chose Chocolate Malt.

We had just sat to drink them when a familiar voice behind us said "Hello there aren't we missing a season."

"Hi Lucy" we both muttered nicely but begrudgingly in unison. "Have you been busy" I added to somewhat lift the tone knowing she would have to answer nicely because she was at work.

"F..k off mole" was the response as she walked away.

"Did she really just say that?" Summer blurted. "What a rude pig!"

"Daisy's is definitely off our list in future. Pity because their milkshakes are the best!"

"Maybe we just get take away in future." Summer responded with puppy dog eyes suggesting she couldn't resist the shakes.

"Maybe" I smiled back.

Everywhere I go I seem to be finding the worst in people. I went home vowing to forget the day and looking for the freshness that a new one could offer.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Glad to see you here.
Thanks for reading this and
of course for reading the story.

Even more though I'd appreciate
your vote (just click on the star).

Your comments of feedback and
thoughts are greatly
appreciated.