"That will never happen," Maude laughed as they got out of the cab.

When they entered the gym, the loud blaring lyrics of Bee Gees hit "Staying Alive" and a blinding disco ball greeted them.  Bell-bottoms and platform shoes were sweeping the dance floor while wiggling dancers were trying but not quite succeeding to copy the fancy moves they had seen in 1970s-themed movies. Jazmine left to go set up the stage with her bandmates, while Maude hit the dance floor.

Maude had barely started dancing when she heard frantic, high-pitched squeals, shrieks of delight and felt people rush around her.

Matt and Lindsey's entrance was quite a noticeable event, and two-thirds of Franklin High's female population rushed to Matt. Not having any paper at hand, they didn't hesitate to ask for autographs on the most inappropriate body parts.

Maude went to get herself a drink, feeling her throat was uncommonly dry all of a sudden. She also didn't want the dazzling couple to spot her. Seeing them together was harder than she thought it would be.

Alas, Maude's wish wasn't granted, and Lindsey made a beeline for her.

"Maude! So happy to see you!" Lindsey yelled over the music.

"I'm sure you are," Maude greeted sarcastically.

Lindsey looked around Maude as if looking for someone.

"Don't tell me that the great Maude Laurent came to this Dance by herself!" she squealed.

"I came with friends," Maude answered calmly. She looked fondly at the stage where Jazmine and her band had started to play.

"You poor thing! I couldn't have shown my face all alone. I'm so glad Matt invited me, I'd be lost without him."

Maude looked at Matt who hadn't bothered to wear a 1970s outfit and was surrounded by girls.

"Matt invited you?" she mocked trying to hide her discomfort. "He's not even dressed up for the occasion, and from where I'm standing, it looks like he's invited the entire female population of Franklin High."

Lindsey looked like she'd swallowed a frog, but couldn't help but jeer, "You're just another one-hit wonder, Maude. After this single withers out, no one will ever hear your name again."

"You're just sorry you didn't manage to steal 'Betrayed But Not Broken' instead of 'Paris Versus New York City,'" Maude went on, undaunted. "I should thank you. Without your little scam, I might never have written my very first hit single. To Lindsey and Thomas," Maude said, raising her glass of punch, as if giving a toast. "You say I'm a one-hit wonder when I've already created two," she mused. "If I were you, I'd be worried. How the hell are you going to release another Hot 100 hit without me?"

Lindsey swallowed, genuine anguish etched on her face. Maude had said aloud what had kept her awake for the last months.

"I'm planning on collaborating with Matt again soon," she taunted defiantly.

"Good luck with that," Maude said, feeling a lot less flippant than she sounded. "The smoke seems to have cleared," she pointed towards Matt, who was standing alone having finished signing autographs. "I don't think we have anything more to say to each other, Lindsey. Enjoy your evening."

She turned, but froze suddenly as she noticed Thomas Bradfield entering the gym. He spotted her almost instantly and started heading towards her but was stopped, just like Matt had been, by a herd of delighted fans. Thomas excused himself, pushed away a few angry fans and headed towards the stage where the Screaming Angels were starting on "Shake Shake Shake (Shake Your Booty)."

"What is he doing?" Maude wondered.

Thomas took the microphone from an equally surprised Stacey and cleared his throat.