[33]: what did you do?

Start from the beginning

She thought about what she had done.

What Shane made her do, but she did anyway.

She could have stopped him, but all she thought at the time was that Carl would be safe.

But she never wanted to do that. What Shane had made her do.

What had she done?

+

"Lori did you... I mean it was legendary. Did you ever hear about the time Shane stoles Kingsley's car?"

"Yeah."

"The principal's car right out of the teacher's lot in the middle of the school day. Shane steps out of lunch and makes a beeline the Kingsley's Hyundai... Wires the ignition, peels out, drives down Dylan Drive to that chicken farm out there. You've heard this before, right? So he pulls out into one of the big holding pens. Kinglsey, he waxed that thing every month; had the auto shop vacuum it out every week. Shane, he parks it in this huge pen with a couple of hundred Rhode island reds. He busts open bags of seed in the back seat, rolls down all the windows, and then starts sprinting back to school. Its three miles away easy. He's back in time to finish his sandwich before the bell. And then the bell rings. Shane gets up and when he runs into Kingsley in the hallway he looks out the window and says, 'Principal Kinglsey, your coup's gone.' Coup, like chicken coop."

"I get it."

"Of course, you do. You've heard this story 1,000 times. What you said before, you're right. Shane's gonna' make it back with what the doctor needs. He'll make it back."

"Hershel said you need to eat."

"And... And Marley's with him. I don't know any story for her, but... She had no reason to go out there, but she did."

"Please, for me. You've got to keep your strength up."

"We don't know anything about her, what if she dies out there?"

"No, I do. She has looked after Carl like he was her little brother. I know... Definitely, that Marley would do anything for him. She's not going to die... She's too stubborn. But, rick, please, you need to eat."

"Carl's gonna' be all right?"

"Yes, Marley and Shane would never let anything happen to him."

+

Shane held her shoulders as she turned her back to the outside. Her breaths were shaky as she wobbled in his grasp.

She had to jump. And she had to do it quickly as the walkers were getting closer to Shane's back. The growls echoed throughout the gym.

Shane could see that strands of her sanity were slowly unravelling as this trip became longer. She was so scared, and it was clearly evident in her face at all times.

"Ready?" He asked. She nodded unsurely, but then her face turned to over his shoulder and gasped.

A walker began to grasp at Shane, its dirty nails clawing at his shirt.

He lost grip of the girl and she lost grip of his elbows.

Her figure descended from his view as she fell.

Shane watched as she tried to grasp for the wall, and her head came into contact with the brick. Shane heard evident scraping sounds and a thud as her limp and unconscious body crumbled to the ground.

She lay on her side, crimson liquid beginning to emerge from her scalp. Something that had happened to her before.

Shane only heard a desperate yelps as she fell.