Chapter 32 - Happy Birthday

Start from the beginning

"Okay," I laugh. "I'll take that when I have time enough to sleep."

"That terrible?" Cece asks, and I nod, heaving a tired sigh. I try the cupcake because I didn't have proper lunch today. "Can't you take a break or something?"

"Not for now," I answer after swallowing the bite I took. I take my phone, launching the planner just to show Cece how packed my schedule is. But I notice then that Teru has sent me an email, which I read quickly, just to find out the meeting I had for later today has been cancelled, hence I can actually stay longer here. "Oh, I have a bit of time today. Maybe I should go home early. I didn't go last night and Mum hasn't been able to wish me a happy birthday."

"Ann," someone else calls, someone that isn't Cece. I turn around to find the person, just to be surprised when my eyes encounter Gareth. "I... I didn't know," he mutters next. "Happy birthday."

"Oh," I mumble, surprised that he is even wishing me that. "Thank you."

"I really didn't know, I don't have anything for you," he apologises, but I shake my head.

"Not even I remembered it, so it's fine," I try to reassure him, but his expression looks as guilty as it was. "Really, you don't have to worry."

"I guess... I guess I don't know you as much as I thought I did," he mumbles next. There's something in his voice, faint and almost imperceptible, that much that I'm not sure if it's really there, but I think he sounds disappointed.

I'm about to say something when my phone rings. I make a sign for Gareth to wait and forgive me for this, and thinking it's my Mum again I pick up without looking at the screen, just to be surprised all over again.

"Happy birthday, Ann!" A male voice exclaims, loud and full of energy. And I recognise it immediately.

"Oh, Charlie! Thank you, how did you know?" I ask, chuckling because I can hear Ella with him, shouting at him to give her the phone, and Charlie refusing so she has to shout louder her happy birthday to me.

"I have my contacts," he jokes, making me smile wider. "Kidding, we are just stalkers. That's all."

"Well, isn't that lovely?" I joke along, not even caring how they found out. I don't think it's hard, to be honest. "But really, thank you. Tell Ella I say thanks, too, okay?"

"I can hear! Happy birthday, Ann!" she shouts, louder this time. She probably succeeded at taking the mobile from Charlie's hands. I laugh, imagining the scene. For some reason, I think they were wrestling on the floor. "Enjoy your day! We'll celebrate together when you have time for your friends."

"Will do," I promise, still smiling.

I hang up after exchanging our goodbyes, the smile still playing on my lips. When I look up again to meet Gareth's eyes, his are harder, colder than they were before. He doesn't even look guilty anymore.

"You're really busy lately, uh?" he comments and I nod. "No wonder I haven't seen you in so long."

"It's the first afternoon 'free' I have, and just because the meeting I had got cancelled," I explain, taking a deep breath. It feels great to say that, although it's probably a bad thing, because I'll have to have that meeting later, when I'm even busier.

"You have free time now?" he asks and I nod, although my mind is still thinking of how I'll have to squeeze things even more to fit in that meeting. "Would you let me take you for something? My treat for your birthday," he explains next.

I'm taken aback, and for two seconds I can only blink at him. It takes me even longer to remember I'm trying to move on and forget about him, so going for something doesn't sound like a sensible idea. "Just the two of us?" I ask, just to make sure.