Epilogue

Epilogue

If I lay on the sand with my eyes shut, the scorching sun beating down on me as I listened to the rhythmical crashing of the waves, I could almost imagine I hadn't moved from this spot in the last nine months. When I opened my eyes, though, the changes screamed out.

An unoccupied chair.

No lifeguard.

Mia and Austin, just a few metres away, all but having sex on the beach.

"It's hard to concentrate when I know you two are trying your hardest not to rip each other's clothes off," I said.

"We appreciate you acknowledging the effort we're making," Mia replied, after disengaging her mouth from Austin's.

"And what are you concentrating on, anyway?" Austin asked. "Last time I checked, lying on your back didn't require much effort."

I chuckled, opening my eyes to glance across at him. "Wow, poor Mia."

The banter returned easily, and I was pleased that Mia and Austin had worked something out. A lot had changed since last summer, and this felt like a fresh beginning for everyone.

"Are you excited for tonight?" Austin asked me, and there was no mistaking the concealed meaning behind his words.

"Of course. Who doesn't love Italian food?"

"I'm sure you're also looking forward to tasting some American."

"Austin, that was such a lame joke." Mia reclined on her towel, shuffling to find the comfiest position.

The light breeze dusted some sand over my body, and I absentmindedly brushed the stray grains off my stomach.

"I don't want any awkwardness tonight, Austin," I said, keeping my tone serious.

"Sorry, can't promise anything."

He shot me a wink then reclined next to Mia, folding his hands behind his head as he attempted to catch a few more rays, before he inevitably became bored and began to pester his girlfriend again.

~~~

The Italian restaurant served cheap yet authentic food, and for that reason we'd dined there together on several occasions last summer. Once more, there was a sense of familiarity yet novelty as we perused the wine list until the fourth member of our group arrived.

"Nice of you to show," Austin said.

"It's called having a job." Brent sank into the empty seat next to me. "You should try it sometime."

"Being Mia's boyfriend is a full-time job, man. She's high maintenance. Not got time for anything else."

Mia jabbed him in his ribs, but a smile played at her lips. I couldn't imagine anyone lower maintenance than her.

As they engaged in their bickering, I twisted in my seat to face Brent, leaving my stomach behind as it squirmed from seeing him in the flesh for the first time in over nine months.

"How are you?" he asked, hooking a finger in the knot of his tie to loosen it an inch.

I resisted the temptation to check him out, even though suits had always been my weakness. He knew that. Did he wear a suit every day, or had he made an effort just for me? Was it too presumptuous to think that?

"Great, thanks. Feels like I never left."

He chuckled. "Careful, I'll take offence."

Flirting? Too early to tell, but I tested the waters anyway to see if I could gauge the vibe.