Chapter 10

LOAINE'S P.O.V

"Hey you." I walked to the carpark as usual and found him sitting on the driver's seat, busy on his phone.

"Hey. How's work?" He approached me.

"I'm so sorry I should've been more convincing." I kicked the small rock in front of me with disappointment.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"If only I knew it was live streaming, I would've acted more convincing, trying harder. And stated out my point way clearer."

"Loaine, don't do this to yourself." Toby rubbed my back because in our natural zone he couldn't go any further than that. "Don't you really want to ask how you have done differently this morning?"

"Hmm?"

Toby gave me each of today's entertainment magazine and newspaper. It both said on the front page, 'Now We Doubt That Toby is Gay'. Oh, breath of relieved. It had my picture on the featured pages inside. I didn't care of how I looked. This responsibility I took to clean up the band and Toby's reputation was way more important. I was somewhat happy that what I did today really was making its first impact.

"Satisfied?" He giggled. "You did great."

"Thanks, but did I, really?"

"We received hundreds of phone calls today from magazines and I pretty much took two live phone-radio interviews. They appreciated your presence. It's working."

"Glad to hear it, then."

"Thank you so much for doing the best you could. I know you must be dead before you entered the room."

"Oh damn you have no idea." I rolled my eyes. "I thought about calling you but I bet you're not even awake. Ain't no point anyway. They're in the room already."

"We watched the live streaming with popcorns in our lap. Connor said you have the skills." He smiled softly.

"Oh thank you, that really is flattering." I chuckled.

Toby drove me off from the carpark. As planned, we're going to meet the brothers and their girlfriends. Another first impression moment to make. I didn't want these girls to not like what they see in me. Everything had to be real. I had to be friends with them. So today I wasn't planning on being 'the pain' kind of Loaine. I wanted to make friends though, since I pretty much had none.

"Hey, uhm..." I cleared my throat.

"Hmm?" Toby glimpsed.

"Charles asked me to be his secretary here, permanently, effective in like two weeks."

"And...?"

"And I don't know. I really appreciate his offer. But wouldn't that mean I would spend more time at the office when I'm done walking around with you everyday? I couldn't be with Mom."

"I see. Well I appreciate any choices you're comfortable with."

"I really want to say no. But he said I must need the cash, so..."

Out of the blue, he grabbed my left hand and intertwined it, didn't come out with a word. Toby just frozen still and stared at me. A little bit of torture because I hated him when he did this. I felt judged.

"I can help you with your bills."

"No, not like that." I shook my head loud and clear. "No."

"Lei, listen to me please. Look. Your Mom needs you more than anything. It doesn't matter how much you could earn in a month, it wouldn't make her happier because you're not around. I personally - not telling I would choose an option for you because who I am to do so - prefer you spending your time at home rather than working. First, you have your contract agreement with us. You've earned something regularly. And just like Connor said yesterday to your Mom, we'll take care of everything else that you need. No; anything else she needs. I hope that means something to you because it's about your Mom now."