Chapter 1

TOBY'S P.O.V

"Whoa this is crazy."

I flipped over every page of this magazine. What have I done wrong yesterday that has made me hit by a giant gossip truck? Paparazzi could really be this rude at making comments about you. And what's worse? They didn't even bother cross-checking references because uncertainty is what makes gossip so hot.

Damn, I was so not liking this.

"What? You look screwed." Connor yawned grabbing his coffee cup.

"Check this out." I slammed the magazine onto the dining table. "Isn't it annoying?"

"Oh wow. Yeah that is."

"It's everywhere! I checked the website and my face is being the headline news."

"What?" Riley joined the conversation.

"Paparazzi." Connor sipped his hot coffee.

"They're pain." Riley tapped my back. "What they use to attack you with this time?"

"For being single." I pouted.

"Isn't that true, speaking of which?" Riley gave me a mocking expression. I ended up chasing him around.

We would have meeting today with Anthony, James, and Taylor for the next tour. I wasn't sure if this was a worthy topic but I should see whether or not they're aware of the news.

"C'mon guys let's get ready! Leaving in an hour!" Connor cleaned his quick routine then ran upstairs.

"Okay." I followed his steps.

We showered and got ready for half an hour then waited for Mom to come down. She always has to be ready and steady before we could leave the house. That's one rule in my family. Us boys were leaving the house at 12:45 PM.

"Jamie!" I fistbumped him.

"Hey hey, how you guys doing?"

"Good." I nodded. "Where's Taylor?"

"On his way, maybe in 10."

"Alright."

Connor started pulling out papers and recordings of our new songs we've been working on lately. James and Anthony did their first hearing. It was good. Few more songs to be put on the list. But we also needed to do covers for the next tour. That's one of stuff we would be talking about this afternoon.

"I'd say we can't undo Thinking Out Loud. Crowd loved it before, and will love it again." Riley pointed out his suggestion.

"Yeah we can remix the acoustic though. I think the version you tried out last night Con, it was amazing." I seconded Riley.

"Yeah? Alright let's do it again later to fix the melody. Then what? More covers?" Connor took a note.

"Uhm..." We're all on thinking mode.

"Jason Derulo's please." I smirked.

Connor and Riley both glared me. Dang, they must not be liking the idea. I was more than ready to find another song.

"Well if not Jason Derulo then... Gosh I can't think of something else. Two Ed Sheeran's in a row wouldn't be so creative. So..."

"Tobs! You kidding? Jason Derulo it is!" Riley got on his feet and sang along to one of Derulo's biggest hits. "Girl, you're the one I want to want me!"

I high fived him. "That's exactly what I'm talking about!"

"Damn right." Ryan walked into the room with Taylor.

"You like it?" Connor asked him.

"Thank Jesus for a perfect song." He smirked. "I'm in! That's the jam alright."

"Settled!" Connor cheered. "Alright done. Two covers. This is gonna be loud!"

"Whoops!" I spun my chair around.

"Guys, I need to tell you something." Taylor suddenly switched the mood. "The press just released a very..."

"Hmm?" Ryan took a sit next to me. "Of who this time?"

"Toby." Taylor gave the same exact magazine I read this morning, and the other two newspapers with my face on its giant cover page.

"See? I knew it." I sighed in devastation. "So annoying."

"Real deal." Ryan murmured.

"This can't be solved only by giving no comment. They're going bold. They don't focus on your career anymore. Well I've tried to contact the public relations department of each magazine. Zero result." Taylor explained. "I'm so sorry Tobs, you're the shiny perfect punching bag for them."

"Chill bro, we got this." Connor put his hand around my shoulders. "Let's have a talk with management now."

"Would they even listen? We're the new signed artists and I mean, gossips like this, is normal. C'mon, these days in Hollywood." I shook my head. "Sounds like a dead end to me."

"Why can't we try?" Riley smiled. "Let's talk first. They deserve to know. They should protect us from things like this."

"Okay." I gave in. "When?"

"Let me make a call first." James walked out of the room.

We discussed what we should talk to the RCA management. I felt attacked. We just signed the record deal and some people already planned to ruin us by pointing their fingers at me. So cheap. I'm sorry but the way these guys make up gossips for artists is too disturbing. I didn't want to be so childish by blowing this up to a certain level of discussion, especially to big management like RCA. But if the guys wanted to give it a shot, then I'd follow.

"Done. Charles will be available in an hour." James walked back in.

"Awesome. Let's try out the new Thinking Out Loud remix and arrange Want To Want Me before we go there." Connor ended the meeting.

I smiled. All said it's gonna be okay. Yeah it'd better be. Because no, I swear to God, not having a girlfriend at the moment doesn't always mean that you're gay.