Waldorf's Curse

It’s a gloomy Saturday morning. The sky is gray, as if it knows exactly how I’m feeling today. The people around me were oblivious with whatever they are doing that they barely notice a lonely girl sitting on a bench. Unlike the gray sky and me, they seem to be having a nice day.

I will turn 18 in less than 24 hours. Most of the girls who will soon turn 18 must be excited. They must be planning some big birthday bash with a lot of alcohol and dancing with hot guys. Unfortunately, I’m not most girls. You see, I cannot bring myself to have a big party when I will be dead tomorrow.

Somewhere in your past, you might have heard the story of the Waldorf’s Curse. If you’re not familiar with it, here’s the story.

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful lady. Prince Waldorf fell in love with her but there was a jealous witch who was in love with the prince. She can’t accept that the prince fell in love with the beautiful lady so she curse them, every first female child of every Waldorf generation will die when she turns 18. I’m not sure if that was the exact story but it’s somewhere along those lines.

You guess it right. My name is Spencer Waldorf, and I’m the first female child of the 195th generation of the Waldorf's. I told you, I will die tomorrow.

I know what you’re thinking, it’s 2013. I shouldn’t believe in this urban legend curse or whatever crap it is, but trust me it’s 100% true. My ancestors have been dying since forever and nobody can explain it except for the Waldorf’s Curse. Our family have consulted many professionals, from doctors to super naturalists but nada, no one have cracked the mystery behind it. So up to date, the only explanation we have is the curse.

When my parents first told me this story, I was like “What the heck? Is that witch on crack? Why would she gave me 18 years and then kill me all of a sudden? Why just simply kill me when I was born?! Oh my God! I swear that witch was high when she cursed our family!” My mom and dad was crying and laughing at the same time from my reaction. I was at 10 that time.

I did not blame my parents for my unfortunate fate. It’s not their fault to bare the first female child of our generation. In fact, I was thankful they did not decide to have an abortion after they found out that I’m a girl. At least I get 18 years to live right?

When I first found out about my fate, I decided to live my life to the fullest. I told my parents that I wanna travel the world. So every summer, winter and spring break, we travel in different countries. I’ve been in the six continents of the world. I think I’m the most traveled teen of our age. My mom and dad were totally supportive of my travel escapades. Unless they want me to throw a fit about my numbered days on earth.

Since I found out that I’m dying, I tried to be unattached with other people. Besides my parents and my older brother, I’ve hardly shown affection to anyone. Having the knowledge of my death day somehow pushed me to be aloft with other people. The lesser people I’m close with, the lesser people I will hurt when I’m gone. My family, of course, are inevitable victims of my forthcoming death.

When I started middle school, I told my parents that I want to be home schooled. My parents were against that decision but they couldn’t do anything about it. Sometimes, having the knowledge that you’ll die soon, has its perks too. So I was home schooled from middle school up to third year high school. On the summer between 3rd year and 4th year, thinking about my goal to live my life to the fullest, I decided to go to regular school again. You can’t imagine how my parents was so delighted when I told them that. So last fall, I started my senior year in a new school just like any other girl, except for the fact that I will be dying at the end of that school year.

Let’s cut the story short. I met a guy. I know, this is such a cliché. A girl met a guy in high school, can this be any more cliché than it is?! I think not. So this guy, his name is Jeremy, was on my Philosophy Class. We’re not one of those OMG-you’re-so-perfect-I-wanna-marry-you-at-first sight story. We hardly even notice each other on the first day of class. I think it started when he saw me reading Sophie’s World before our class start and he said he like that book. That was when we found out that we’re one of those few people in our class that have taken it not for whatever reason except that we really like Philosophy.

He started hanging out with me during lunch. We found out that besides Philosophy, we have a lot in common like our love of books, music, film and traveling. He’s been to almost 20 countries, although it’s not even half as many as the countries I’ve been to, it’s quite plenty considering our age.

One afternoon while we were hanging out, Jeremy suddenly blurt out, “Spence, you know what? I like you. Not just as a friend, but I like like you.” So I said to him, “Jeremy, you know what? You should not like like me.” He asked “Why not?” I answered, “Because I will die soon.”

Jeremy: We will all die soon.

Me: I will die sooner than all of you.

Jeremy: What do you mean you’ll die sooner? Are you sick? Are you dying?

Me: No. I’m perfectly healthy, but I will die soon. On my 18th birthday to be exact.

Jeremy: Hahahaha. You’re so funny Spence. I know what you will tell me next, that you’re the first female child of your generation. You’re a Waldorf so you’re under the Waldorf’s Curse. Nice one Spence! Hahahahaha.

Me: The Waldorf’s Curse is true Jeremy, and yes, I have the curse.

Jeremy: Are you serious?

Me: Do I look like I’m kidding?

Jeremy: But that’s impossible! It’s an urban legend!

Me: No. I’m telling you, it’s 100% real.

Jeremy: No way! I do not believe you!

Me: Ugh. Fine. You can come home with me later and you can ask my parents yourself.

That afternoon after school, Jeremy came home with me. My parents confirmed that the curse is true and Jeremy was speechless.

Me: Jeremy, I’m sorry.

Jeremy: Why are you saying sorry?

Me: Because I’m dying.

Jeremy: It’s not your fault.

Me: I shouldn’t have befriend you.

Jeremy: No. Don’t say that. I’m glad that we became friends.

Me: Really? Even if I’ll die soon?

Jeremy: We will all die soon remember?

Me: Okay.

Jeremy: Despite having the knowledge that you will die soon, I still like like you.

Me: Okay.

Jeremy: Okay what?

Me: I like like you too.

Jeremy and I started dating. Yeah, I know. My story is full of clichés. Can you blame me?

So here I am now, sitting on a park bench, looking at the gloomy gray sky, waiting for Jeremy so we can spend my last day on earth together. Even though I know that I will hurt Jeremy when I die, there’s a selfish part of me that was glad that I had him in my short life.

What will we do? I don’t know. We don’t really have a plan. Maybe we would go on a road trip, or watch some film on the old cinema house. Maybe we would go to prom later and dance all night. Maybe we would lie at our roof under the same blanket and look at the stars. Maybe we will somehow find out the solution to stop this stupid curse. Maybe we can live happily ever after. Maybe I won’t die tonight. Maybe I could celebrate my 19th birthday next year. Maybe Jeremy and I can travel the rest of the world together. Maybe we will grow old on a beach house somewhere in Caribbean. Maybe, just maybe.

I’m not really sure what will happen today. All I know is I will spend this day with the guy that give me a reason to live one more day.

“Hey Spence!” I turn my head and it’s Jeremy. He smiled at me and took my hand “Let’s go!”

I let him took me, took me to some place in this vast universe where we will create a memory we will forever cherish, despite the uncertainty of my death.