s e v e n

audrey's p.o.v

"So, Aud-ball." Luke said the morning after, a mug of coffee placed in his rough hands. He waggled his eyebrows around with a smirk on his face.

I raised my eyebrows at him, glancing up from my bowl of yogurt, fruit, and granola. "How can I help you?" I asked him as I spun my spoon around the bowl, swirling everything together.

"How's your period?"

I let out a cough, nearly choking on my blueberry. After clearing my throat with water, I pulled my bottom lip in between my teeth. "It's pretty nonexistent. Why do you ask?" I asked him, looking over at him innocently.

He rolled his eyes playfully at me. "Tell me everything!" He squeaked out in a high-pitch voice, clearly imitating Jaylee. He smirked after I scoffed at him. "Sorry, sorry. But come on, it's no secret you stayed just to spend time with him." He said, referring to Ashton.

I shrugged my shoulders, crossing one leg over the other. "It's no secret to you." I pointed out with a raise of my eyebrows. "It sure as hell better be a secret to everyone else."

"Yeah, it is. They bought it." He said with a nod, talking about Calum and Jaylee. I grinned, my mind wandering to the dozens of texts my best friend had sent me when she thought I was really suffering.

If only she knew.

"Now, tell me what happened. I'm the only one you can say this shit to." Luke said, a small smirk on his face, proud to be the only one who knew about my dirty little secret.

I gave him a simple shrug of my shoulders. "There's not a lot to tell. We watched a movie in his room and then ate all of the leftover Chinese takeout that was in the fridge."

"So, that's who ate all of my food."

Luke and I both turned in perfect sync, our eyes planted on a young-looking man in the doorway to the kitchen. My throat closed immediately, my eyes widened so much I was afraid they might pop.

"I'm just kidding, don't look at me like I have a knife in my head." The man joked, causing my surprise to switch to uneasiness. Regardless of his dark humor, he gave us a warm smile. "I'm Michael. You know, the guy's whose house you're in right now."

I forced a smile onto my face, nodding my head quickly. "Oh! Yeah, I'm Audrey, and this is Luke." I told him, quickly looking over to Luke who didn't return my gaze. "It's nice to meet you."

"Same to you guys." Michael said, quickly eyeing me up and down before looking me back in the eye. "You're Audrey?" He asked, a scent of surprise in his voice.

I nodded slowly, letting out a small, incredibly uncomfortable laugh. "Uh, yeah. That would be me."

After a moment of a more than awkward silence, Michael spoke back up. "Well, it was great meeting you both. I'll catch ya later." He said before speeding out of the doorway and heading up the stairs to the bedrooms.

Luke shifted his gaze back to me, his eyebrows highly raised. "That was a little, um... What's the word?"

"Awkward, uncomfortable, weird? Any other synonym would be appropriate." I said, letting out a small sigh before leaning back in the chair I was sat in.

Luke let out a laugh, nodding his head in agreement. "Pretty much. It was weird how he had to like, double-check on who you were." He observed, his eyebrows furrowed, clearly confused.

I nodded, my eyes remaining wide open. "Why do you think he did that?" I questioned out loud, not necessarily expecting an answer.

"You don't think..." Luke began, shaking his head slowly. It was now his turn for him to go bug-eyed. "No, there's no way. He wouldn't have told... No. No, right?"