f o u r

ashton's p.o.v

"You'll find your procedure for the second part of the lab at your benches." I told my students, leaning back against my desk at the front of my classroom. "I know we only have ten minutes of class left but please, read through it before you start. We don't need to call 911 again." I said, causing a few kids to laugh at the memory of a mishap that occurred a month ago. 

I finished talking, allowing my students to disperse to their benches alongside their partners.  All but Audrey, who remained seated in her seat, a blank look washed over her face. 

"Audrey?" I said, looking at her as she sat in the desk right in front of me. 

Her head shot up, her eyes wide. "Yes, Mr. Irwin?" I raised my eyebrows and pointed at the bench she and her partner were assigned to, which was empty. "Oh! I'm sorry, I was zoning out." 

As she went to go towards her bench, I placed my hand on hers. "May I speak with you out in the hall?" She nodded, making her way to exit silently. I followed her and made sure to close the door to the classroom behind me. 

I looked over at her, noticing how uncomfortable she appeared to be. "Are you okay?" 

Before she had the chance to answer, a boy appeared next to her. "Hey, Audrey. Tell your mom I said thanks for helping me get off last night. She looks like she knows how to give a good blowjob." He finished off with a laugh and began sauntering away. 

I tensed up at his comment. The fucking nerve of that kid

Audrey looked over at me, her eyes full of worry. "It's okay." She said, forcing a small smile onto her face. "It happens more than you'd think." She shrugged. 

I shook my head, feeling my cheeks heat up as I spoke. I was fuming. "That doesn't make it okay for people to just say those things to you!" I exclaimed, causing her to jump at my outburst. I frowned, taking in a deep breath. "Sorry. I don't like it." 

When Audrey and Calum were younger, Laura did participate in some adult films. She always told the kids that she was going on business trips whenever she had to go to a shoot somewhere out of town. But then, once they turned older, she quit the porn scene and stuck to stripping. Whatever pays the bills, I guess. 

"I have to tell you something." I blurted out, causing Audrey to snap her head back up, looking in my direction. Her eyebrows rose. "Your mom should be the one telling you this, but she insisted that I did." 

Audrey looked at me, her eyebrows furrowed together slightly. "What are you talking about?" 

I took in a deep breath, leaning against the lockers that nobody even used. "Your mom is going into rehab, we all know she needs help. She finally realized it, too. And for the time being, you and Calum are going to be living at my house." 

Her eyes shot wide open. "Excuse me?" She said, swallowing hard before speaking again. "Did you just say that I'm going to be living with you?" She asked, causing me to nod. She shook her head, running a hand through her hair. "Oh my god. Oh my god." 

I raised my eyebrows, watching as she paced back and forth in the hall. "What's wrong? Shouldn't you be excited? I mean, you'll be living with Jaylee. You two are best friends." I said, trying to brighten the mood. 

I knew exactly why she was freaking out over the situation. We both knew. 

She took in a deep breath, standing herself next to me, a few inches of space between us. "I am excited. It's just - you know. The whole thing with my mom is a lot to handle." She said, blowing air out of her mouth slowly. 

I nudged her shoulder with mine, giving her a tiny smile, which she thankfully returned. "Come on, it won't be so bad. Everything's gonna be just fine." I told her. 

She let out a small sigh, nodding her head once. "You're right. The thing is, everything is changing so fast and I have no idea how to keep up with it all." She said, her eyes glued to the floor below us. 

I glanced at the clock above the lockers on the other side of the hall, noticing that we only had a minute or so until the final bell of the day rang. One more minute until I could Audrey to our home. 

"We should go back inside, the bell is about to ring." I told her, quickly leading us back inside the classroom. All of the students were messing around and talking, clearly finished with their experiments and ready to leave. 

"I'll be checking all of your data tonight to determine how well you followed the procedure and if you understood the point of this lab today. You'll get them back tomorrow." I said to everyone, all of them murmuring among themselves. No one was listening - like usual. 

I felt someone tug on my arm, causing me to look over, my eyes meeting a pair of sparkling brown ones. I smiled. 

"I didn't do the second part of the lab." She said, her voice laced with shame. 

Before I had the chance to reply, the bell rang throughout the classroom and all of the students rushed out the door. Audrey and I were alone. 

I gave her a shrug of my shoulders, acting like it was no big deal. I walked over to the benches, examining them to make sure they were all clean. 

Audrey followed me with every step I took. "Ashton! I was supposed to do it and I didn't because of you." She said, placing her petite hands on her hips. 

I let out some laughter, shaking my head at her. "It's fine, Aud. Don't worry about it. You always do your work and it's always perfect. I'll let it slide this time, especially since it was my fault." 

She let out a huff and made her way towards her desk, piling her things into her backpack. I chuckled at how stubborn she was, along with how cute she was at the same time. 

"So, with this whole me 'living-under-your-roof' thing, I have some conditions." She stated as she came over to where I was now stood at the whiteboard, erasing all of the notes from class. 

I cast my glance over to her, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, do you?" I asked her before turning my attention back to my cleaning. "And what are these so called 'conditions'?" 

"Well, it's actually one condition. It's more like a rule." She said. I nodded, urging her on. "You and I are going to remain completely platonic, a hundred percent." I burst out into laughter, causing her to furrow her eyebrows at me. "I'm being serious!" 

I nodded slowly, setting the eraser down on my desk. "I know." I told her, making my way over to her in a few short strides. "I just don't think I'll be able to follow that condition." I said, placing my hands on her waist, giving it a gentle squeeze. 

The slight pink color in her cheeks quickly changed to a red hue at the feel of my touch. "You have to. I'm your daughter's best friend. You're my best friend's father. It's not right." She stated. 

"But it's not completely wrong, is it?" I asked, giving her a small smirk. She murmured a quiet no. "I didn't think so." I said, letting go of her waist, picking up the eraser again. "Go find Jaylee, I'm bringing both of you home." 

Audrey shook her head, still clearly overwhelmed from the last thirty seconds. "She has volleyball practice until five." She said, her voice low. 

"So, it'll be just you and me? Since Calum has work and all." I said casually, casting her a quick glance before returning it back to the board. I saw her nod out of the corner of my eye. My grin was undeniable. 

Things are changing. I'm liking it - a lot

a/n: how does this have already over a hundred reads brb i'm actually screaming