Basher groaned inwardly. He'd thought Shara had given up flirting with him during her first visit at the embassy, but now that she'd come back it was much worse. He wasn't sure what his face looked like, but Claire laughed suddenly, so apparently he hadn't kept the distaste off his face.

"You can't go out," Basher said flatly. "If Sam wants to exercise Nebby, I suggest he use the reception hall."

"Oh, what a good idea," Shara said, gripping his arm briefly. "We'll meet you up there."

She trotted back down the stairs, probably to fetch Sam, and Basher looked at Claire.

She burst out laughing again. "I'm sorry. You just looked so... horror-struck."

He shook his head in mock despair. "I am horror-struck. She's worse than ever. And she doesn't pay any attention to what I say. Can't you hint her away?"

"I don't think she takes hints."

"Perhaps a bludgeon?"

"Sorry, I think you're on your own."

He laughed, but then realized she probably meant that in more than one way.

They still ended up in the reception hall a bit later, along with an unchastened Shara, Nat, Sam, and his giant trouncer pet. The Spo librarian also joined them. He had a decided fondness for Nat.

Sam threw a ball roughly the size of a basketball and they all watched while Nebby sprang after it. Sam had told him that Nebby was small as trouncers went, but that didn't lessen his presence at all. He was shaped vaguely like a toad, with long rear legs for jumping, but Basher was more impressed by his jaw. The thing could crush a pit bull with a single snap.

The reception hall was about the length of two basketball courts but it only took Nebby a handful of leaps to reach the end. He caught the ball gently in his jaws as it rebounded off the far wall.

"Did you teach him to fetch it back as well?" Basher asked.

Sam laughed. "No need."

Nebby used his powerful, short neck to launch the ball back towards Sam. It only bounced once and Sam caught it in both hands before lobbing it back.

"Ah. Maybe I should convince the Spo to install a few hoops. We could play three on two," Basher said.

"You're joking, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could teach him to play," Sam said.

The Spo with them shuddered slightly. "It is a magnificent sight, but still fills me with ice."

They watched Nebby and Sam play catch for a few minutes, before Nat spoke up. "Since all the tribunal people are gone now, Sam and I have been talking about how we might go after Akemi." She gestured at the librarian. "If you can't stay for this discussion, I understand."

"I believe I may conscientiously remain. We're not currently at war with the Pontifex or any of his faals."

"Aren't the faals all under the Pontifex, though?" Claire asked.

"Under isn't quite the right word. The Pontifex's authority is not the same as the Spo emperor; he isn't a king. He does have a powerful military at his disposal, but not more than Faal has at his. If they were to face off... well, I am not certain who would prevail. They will not do so, however. Because if Faal were to fight the Pontifex, the other faals would fight against him."

"Faal seemed to have been on good terms with at least three or four of the others," Claire said. She named three of them and the librarian nodded.

"I have heard that as well, but they would still turn on him if they could."