Nat and Claire began to get ready for bed and Nat automatically put toothpaste on Claire's toothbrush for her. "You don't have to look so defensive. I didn't think anything happened."

Claire awkwardly brushed her teeth with her left hand. "Then why are you looking at me like that?" she mumbled.

Nat splashed water on her face. "I was feeling bad for Basher. He looked rather awkward when I walked in."

"He always looks awkward."

"He didn't before. He's not comfortable around you."

"Well, I'm not comfortable around him. He knows too much about me. And too little. We've both barely spoken to each other. The only thing we have in common is Akemi..." Claire cut off when she saw Nat's eyes cloud. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to mention Akemi."

Nat shook her head and dried her face on one of the Spo's soft towels. "It's alright. We're going to get her back. Sam and I have been brainstorming tonight."

Another knock at their door announced Shara's arrival. "I got some blankets from the steward so I can sleep in here. All the other suites are taken up by the tribunal peeps." She began unfolding blankets in the middle of the room. "I figure we'll take turns on the floor, right?"

***

Death Chamber

Planet: Merith Prime

Sage watched the drama in his dungeon with morbid fascination. He didn't really want to engage with these people who would all be dead in the next few weeks, but there wasn't anything else to fill his time.

Most of the people had theories or superstitions about who got chosen each day in the death chamber. One said that if you closed your eyes while they selected, you wouldn't get picked. Another said that if you looked ill, you definitely would get picked (he went on to theorize that they didn't want to waste anyone on a natural death). The Director pronounced in her self-assured way that it was a fluctuating ratio of men to women and that she needed only a few more days to solve the equation.

"You're all idiots," Sage finally said. "They're randomly grabbing people. But even if they weren't," he gestured to two grubby men in the corner, "kissing a rock isn't going to save you."

One of them flipped Sage off, which he only knew was a rude gesture because Claire had explained it once. They were bent over a large, oddly shaped rock that for some unknown reason they'd decided was lucky.

"It looks like a clover," one of the guys said. "That's a lucky thing for humans. And I've been here longer than anyone except the Director, so I'd shut your mouth."

Sage shrugged.

The Director looked at Sage with a malicious smile. "I wonder that you don't feel a bit more responsible Sage. Didn't you select many of these subjects?"

"Never said I didn't," Sage said. Many of the others looked up at him. There was to be an execution in the next hour or so, and tension was high.

"How many of them do you recognize?" she asked.

Sage didn't answer.

"Ten? Twenty? How about all of us?"

Sage shook his head. "Not all of you. I never would have selected someone as ugly as him." He pointed to the guy who'd kissed the clover rock.

Two people laughed, but quickly stopped as they realized everyone else was staring at Sage.

"Is she telling the truth?" Clover Guy asked. "You really picked all of us?"