12: New Orleans, 1887

Start from the beginning

   The carp were just as long as his arm, maybe even bigger. I smiled and gazed at the wind-ruffled surface to the lily pads in bloom,their white and magenta petals catching the breeze. I inhaled softly, and my nose was filled once again with the pungent smell of jasmine. 

   "How is it that you have such luxurious gardens, Mr. Mikaelson?" I asked, glancing over at him.

   "Klaus," he corrected. "Mr. Mikaelson is too formal. And, to answer your question, I enjoy gardening."

   I arched a brow and stared at him. "I don't believe you," I huffed, glancing back at the pond. "Your hands are too clean for gardening."

   "Oh, my hands are in no way clean."

   "I meant from dirt," I chuckled. "I'm well aware that you're hands are not clean from blood, Klaus, because neither are mine. You know that very well from Elijah's letters."

   "Hmm," he hummed nodding. "Tell me, why have you stayed with Elijah for all these years? Are you looking to gain the favour of the Originals?"

   "What?" I raised a brow and looked at him. "Gain favour with the Originals? What do you mean, Klaus?"

   "Don't play games with me, Gwenhwyvar!" he yelled, grabbing me by the arms. "How are you still alive?"

   "Klaus, you're hurting me!" I yelped, trying to push away from his hold. He was stronger than any vampire I had met, maybe even Elijah. "Klaus!"

   "Klaus!" Elijah's voice rang through the garden. Klaus's hands were pushed away from my arms, and I fell back. I looked up to see Elijah holding back his brother, glaring down at him. "Calm yourself down, brother."

   "Do you think you can fool me, Elijah?" Klaus spat. "Bringing her to my home as if I weren't to know who she was!"

   "You are wrong!" Elijah corrected. "This is not who you think it is. This girl was born in 1844, in Mystic Falls, Virginia. She is not who you think she is."

   "Who is Gwenhwyvar?" I asked, glancing at Elijah. "He called me that, Elijah! who is she?"

   "No one," he answered, continuing to glare down at his brother. "Clara, she is no one you need to know." He looked over at me and let a small smile spread around his lips. "No one you need to worry about. Klaus just made a mistake, no more."

   "Yes," Klaus said from between his lips. "It was just a mistake. Pardon me, Miss Forbes."

   I continued to look at the brothers, breathing deeply. Something bothered me as I stared at the brothers. Why did Klaus call me Gwenhwyvar? Who was she? Was she the reason Elijah had been keeping track of my kills? It all ran through my mind for the rest of the day, including the few others that passed. 

   My stay at the Mikaelson Manor was healthy. The house was bright, the rooms were comfortable, and I spent much of my time in the garden with a book to read. There was a room filled with Elijah's collection of books, and they were all interesting. So, as the days passed by, I sat under a tree and read. I read as if it was the only thing keeping me comfort, and it was. Elijah spent most of the days with his brother and a boy named Marcellus. The boy was also a vampire, the adopted son and protégé of Klaus. He spent most of the time with the brothers.

   There were nights where I would sneak to Elijah's bedroom, where we would spend the nights kissing and laughing and speaking about the events that occurred throughout the day. Elijah's fingers moved gently through my cheek, and it felt warm and calming. It was those times where I would forget about the past and think of the long future I spent with him.