Chapter 1

"Bye, Lucy!"
"Can't believe you're leaving, Lucy!"
"Text me all the time! I'll miss you so much!"
"Ugh don't leave me, Lucy!"

All these things and more are what I heard just two days ago at my last dance class at FDA. I replay the last few moments at the dance studio as we fly over fluffy white clouds and miles of green farmland:

"Now, as everybody knows this is Lucy's last class with us, at least for awhile." Anne had said.
"Awww!" Choruses of aw's and no's echoed throughout Studio A, where we were having class that night.
"Don't worry! It's most likely temporary. But I just wanted to end class a little early so we could all say goodbye and have a little going away party for Lucy." Anne said as a big sheet cake was rolled into the room. It was a gorgeous looking cake with vanilla frosting and big pink, blue, purple, and gold (aka my favorite colors) balloons all over it. In the center were the words "We'll Miss You, Lucy!" Then the cake was sliced up, put on plates with forks and a napkin, and handed out to everyone. I got the biggest piece and I even scraped all the extra icing off my plate with my fork.
After class and all the goodbyes had ended for the most part, mom and I were walking out the door when Mila stopped me.
"Lucy, don't forget to call and text me all the time. We can also FaceTime."
"Of course!" I said because obviously we would keep in touch. Mila was one of my best friends!
"No I'm serious Lucy. Even if you stop dancing out in LA, we have to keep in touch. You... You've changed my life and who I am as a person and I can't just lose you like this." Deep for a nine and a half year old, I know. But that's all the time we had to talk because mom had whisked me away with a, "Ok Lucy! We gotta finish packing!" I might not ever find out how I've changed Mila's life but maybe there isn't a specific reason. Who knows, if I really wanna know I can just text her right? Wrong. I don't have service up here in this plane. Up in the sky, there's apparently service because my whole family has it. But nope, not me. Maybe this plane hates me, I don't know. Actually, it's a prop plane to be exact. And yeah I was so scared when I found out I was going on a prop plane because I thought it was one of those old, like, two or three person planes that the Wright brothers came up with. Luckily, it wasn't. Or isn't.
Anyway, I'm up in the sky with poor reception. My mom's sleeping, my dad's snoring, and my brother... Lemme see what he's doing... I lean across my mom to see my brother, who's sitting across the aisle. Jake's on his iPad with headphones plugged in. Hmmm suspicious.
"Psst, Jake!" I whisper. "Jake!" Gosh can he not hear?! Oh yeah, he's got headphones in...
"Jake!" I say a little louder and thankfully that gets his attention.
"What do you want, Lucy?" He asks sounding irritated. Geez, you'd never think a seven year old would have such an attitude, but life is full of surprises, you know.
"Whatcha doing?" I ask him quietly because I don't wanna wake up my sleeping mom or snoring dad.
"Playing Lego batman."
"What's with the headphones?" I ask because I'm pretty sure you don't need to hear anything in Lego Batman. Who knows? That could just be another surprise life has for me.
"Um... Hello? Sound effects!" Jake says like it's the most obvious thing in the world.
"Ok bye." I say quickly before sitting back in my seat. Sheesh. Seven year old boys are so annoying. I can't believe Sadie Peterson used to have a small crush on my brother. Who would like that person over there? Apparently a lot of people, like little Sadie. And like my mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, his classmates, even the Petersons (not Ava and Mia because they're on my side for this battle)!
All of a sudden a voice breaks into my thoughts: "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now beginning our descent into Los Angeles. Please fasten your seat belts and put your lap trays up." The flight attendant says. LA! AHHHH! We're almost there!