Boston Wedding (Book #2 Abridged)

Start from the beginning

Introduction: For Those Who Came Late to the Story.

Return to Table of Contents

Author's Comment: The young ladies who star in this story wanted a chance to introduce themselves so let's give then that opportunity:

"Hello, I'm Olivia Plymouth. I'm in my early twenties, and my favorite saying is 'No need to thank me.' Some people may remember my first adventure and mystery in Northeastern Brazil (Book #1 Brazilian Quest). When I'm not working behind the scenes at fashion shows, I run the Better Colors Fashion Consultants in Seattle, Washington. It is a small firm with two very dedicated employees. Along the way, I met my love, Richard Jackson. He is now a geology professor and mountain climbing club advisor at a local college. While in Brazil, I started having some mysterious dreams. Next thing I knew, I was trying to solve the mystery of a family which had been separated for sixty years. Eventually this triumphant story made the front page of the local Brazilian newspaper. I do hope that something exciting happens while I'm now in Boston."

"Hi, I'm Rose Plymouth. I work as a Product Manager at the Moyo Corporation. It is a telecommunications company in Boston. I also met this great guy named Charles Johnson. He's an art critic at a Boston paper. Soon, we will be getting married. I'm so happy!

My baby sister Olivia is always leaving out some few crucial facts when she tells her stories. Now back to what happened in Brazil. It is so like Olivia to want all the glory. Her boyfriend went nuts there after chomping down too many energy bars. And she kept both Charles and I doing all kinds of research to track people down. We were really the ones that got the key clues to solve the mystery. Anyway, see you all soon at my wedding. Did I mention how happy I am?"

Chapter 1: Day 0 (Tuesday): A Hallway Conversation.

Return to Table of Contents

It was an unusual lazy Tuesday April afternoon. For those at Better Colors Fashion Consulting, this was a nice break from what had been two weeks of non-stop activities. An interesting conversation was taking place in the hallway between the offices and the meeting room. At a fast pace and no time to take a breath, Olivia had just finished explaining her agenda and travel plans to Boston. Sally Lennox, who was the office manager and also acted as Olivia's surrogate grandmother, stood there in amazement. Once again, Olivia had planned to squeeze way too many activities in a short period of time. Even by an over achiever's standards she was going overboard. Sally cautioned her by saying:

"Olivia, look at your final schedule. How are you going to do it all and live to see another day? Already, you have your sister's wedding and the Boston Marathon. And now you just accepted a whole day at the Boston Fashion Designers Institute - meeting students, speaking on a panel, and accepting an honorary award."

"And I know she'll find time for a mystery to boot. Or maybe one will find her." Tommy Loomis chimed in with a wide smile. He really enjoyed his great boss and the convenience of living so close to his work. He did much of the customer-facing activities and also behind the scenes work to make the company a success.

Olivia said with defiance and much confidence "You don't believe me. Of course I can do it all. Mystery included if need be." And she looked like she could, starting now.

While Olivia continues to convince her fellow employees that she can successfully manage her time, let us briefly review her story so far.

Olivia was born during late winter in a thriving Boston suburb. Some think she arrived early just to be part of the spring fashion sales. She was born to caring parents who also had active work lives. Her mother, Esmeralda was an editor for a children's magazine. Her father, Kenny was an archaeologist. Somewhere along the line, he discovered that researching fantastic and often controversial theories paid well. Although looked down by his fellow scientists, his 'hobby" took him all over the world and he usually took his family with him. The girls showed their talents early: Rose liked to tear down and rebuild things. Olivia was fascinated by colors and spent hours mixing them. This led to her making unique and intricate designs. Her reputation and thirst of knowledge became well known. At age 15, she became the youngest student ever at the Mount San Real fashion consultant program. She worked harder than the other students and graduated summa cum laude, with highest honors, at the age of sixteen. Despite her glorious record and tremendous potential most employers shied away from hiring someone so young. But Sarah Pride of Pride Consulting looked past Olivia's young face, seeing her drive and accomplishments, and in a bold leap of faith hired her. Olivia then moved to Toronto to work for Pride Consulting. It was her first real paid job in the fashion industry. Olivia stayed there until she was 20 when she decided to strike on her own by founding a consulting company in the untapped Seattle/Vancouver area. Better Colors Fashion Consulting was thus born. Sally Lennox was hired at the end of the first year. Even though this was Sally's first job in many years, she brought a lively atmosphere and a sense of purpose to the small firm. Tommy Loomis was hired almost from the start and was capable of handling the mountains of details needed to make each client a successful venture. He was also thrilled that his new job was almost next door to his home.