Chapter 12: The Blue House

Start from the beginning

Alexis, on the other hand, had never looked more exhausted.

She hadn't bothered to adjust her read beanie the way she always liked on her head, which wasn't really combed that morning either. She was sporting two brand new circles under her eyes, and her skin was rather pale. Her usual morning good mood was nowhere to be seen, and she had lost her appetite, even refusing to eat the strawberries that Grace had gotten from the grocery store the other day. Those had become a recent favorite of hers.

-"... Something wrong, Al?"—Connor asked, getting the girl's attention.

-"What? No, no, nothing wrong..."—she whispered, barely audibly.

-"Connor's right Alexis, you don't look well."—Grace said, walking towards her and patting her back—"Are you feeling sick? I can call school to let them know if you don't want to go."

-"No, no, I'm not sick..."—she said, shaking her head and taking a sip from her glass of milk—"I'm just a bit tired. It's been a long couple of days, with theatre and all."

Mikey had just arrived to the kitchen, and took his usual spot on the table, next to Alexis and across from Connor's side. Grace sat down in front of him, and started to have her breakfast as well.

-"You know I've been meaning to ask you kids about that!"—she said—"How's everyone's clubs going? Connor, I heard from Mamrie you seem to be a swimming team favorite! I'm proud of you!"

-"Thanks..."—Connor said, feeling weird to receive appreciation—"It's not really that big deal, though."

-"And Mikey, how's the film club?"

-"Well, Luke and I are having fun in it, and there's many of our friends as well."—Mikey said, taking a few worried glances at Alexis—"We've been told that we'll be helping with this year's play as well."

-"Oh really? That's so great!"—Grace said, then turning to Alexis—"That means you two will be spending time together there, too! So, Alexis, how has theatre been running along?"

-"It's... ok..."—Alexis said—"Just..."

Grace seemed to have found the source of the problem.

-"Alexis, you know you can talk to me if something at school is bothering you, right?"—Grace hinted—"Or in the club? Some kids can be really mean there."

-"Al..."—Connor said, trying to get her to talk.

Alexis was very refusing to say anything, but she eventually had to cave in. It was either that or the entire week of every person in the house seeing if she was ok, and she didn't have such patience.

-"Ok, I swear it's not a big deal."—she said—"It's just that since I'm new, I've been placed in production-which I'm fine with, really! I like helping and all. But some of the actors who are meant to be in the play are... are..."

-"... Douchebags?"—Connor asked.

-"Spoiled?"—Mikey asked next.

-"Out of their minds?"

-"Annoying?"

-"A pain in the ass?"

-"Messing with you?"

-"Kids!"—Grace protested, encouraging Alexis to go on.

-"They are just a bit harsh."—she said—"Well, one of them is."

-"There's someone bothering you there? Who is it? I have to tell the school about it!"—Grace said immediately followed by Connor asking if he needed to give anyone 'a chat.'