Research-Three Days Until

Redbeard was immediately taken to the best animal hospital in London and given an emergency surgery, with the Holmes' money helping him along. Meanwhile, Sherlock was still worried. Mycroft didn't want to tell him just what had happened, but it was difficult to keep from him-he was a clever child.

Meanwhile, while Redbeard was at hospital, Sherlock went to the library and immediately checked out every book on veterinary surgery they had. For almost five hours, he lay on the couch and read, trying to figure out what was happening to his first mate.

At the end of those hours, he walked over to where Mycroft was pouring over books about government. He didn't notice Sherlock tapping on his arm at first, so Sherlock picked up one of his books and hit him over the head with it.

"Ouch, Sherlock! Don't hit me! What did you find?" said Mycroft, annoyed by his brother's antics.

"I couldn't find anything," said Sherlock petulantly. "And all of these stupid textbooks are outdated. They need to be updated."

"Why do you say that?" Mycroft asked, eyebrows up. Sherlock hesitated, then said "Because every single one of them said there wasn't a way to save a large dog with injuries like Redbeard got. It's not his fault he got hit by a car! Besides, science is always changing, and I'm sure they've found something by now-they're doing a surgery to help him."

Mycroft sighed, not quite sure how to handle the situation. He stared at Sherlock for a few seconds, then went back to what he was reading. Sherlock hit him again, harder this time.

"Mycroft! I need you to get me some better books!"

"Sherlock. They're doing the best they can. The books aren't outdated. Look inside the covers at the publishing date. This one is from last year."

Sherlock's face crumpled, then he straightened himself out and shouted "You're wrong, Mycroft! You're wrong! These books can't tell me and they're wrong too and you're all so stupid! Go away!" Then he threw all the books he was holding at Mycroft's head and ran out of the library.

Mycroft retrieved the books from the ground, then set them on the table and followed Sherlock.

It wasn't hard, really. Sherlock was rather predictable, and since they were in the city, all he really had to do was follow the trail of people laying on the sidewalk where Sherlock had knocked them over.

When he caught up to him, he laid his umbrella down on the ground and actually picked Sherlock up. Sherlock struggled, of course, and he got a square kick to Mycroft's shin. But in the end, Mycroft, who was older and bigger, won.

"Let me go, you-you- you just let go of me! You just want Redbeard to-to just-" Sherlock hiccuped.

Just then, Mycroft's mobile phone rang. He dragged Sherlock to a bench and sat him down, pinning him with his knees, then flipped the phone open.

"Is this Sherlock Holmes?"

"This is his brother, Mycroft. Who is this?" said Mycroft, trying not to let the squirmy Sherlock get away.

"This is the Queens Veterinary Clinic. I'm calling about your dog.... Redbeard?" asked the caller.