fifteen

Michael’s power washed over me again and a soft glow encompassed me. My body twitched and there was a fizzing sound. A rush of heat hit my back and I tensed my whole body. After a sharp pain from between my shoulders, the heat subsided and my back felt alive with energy, the muscles jumping uncontrolably.

I have enough power now. You will be revered by my people and your own. Remember me, Willy. Michael’s nickname for me set me at peace and I thanked him silently for giving me power even though it turned my life upside down just when everything was going right.

“What just happened?”

“She was visited by Michael, you idiot.”

“No duh? But, is she okay?”

Silence met my ears and I lifted my head, wiping at my face. Then I stood and looked away from the both of them. Nick shuffled forwards, but froze when I snapped my gaze to him. Jorden wisely stayed put but his eyes conveyed concern, something that was foreign to his face and looked completely out of place. My heart swelled knowing that he cared for me, and I tamped down on the desire to throw myself into his arms.

“I need- I can’t deal with this right now.”

"Willow-"

"Don't follow me."

With that, I turned and walked off, heading straight towards the lake that separated Shrewsbury from Worcester and was shining the reflection of the sun right into my eyes. Once at the bridge, I leaned against the railing and stared out at the water. My sides ached and I had a killer headache, but I didn’t care.

Nick was my boyfriend and I loved him, even if it was only a brotherly love. But since Jorden had kissed me, I was gripped with the urge to be with him. I tried- but failed- to ignore the tingle that flowed through my body at the thought of his kiss. I couldn’t think of anything besides the fact that the tingles from Jorden felt right, whereas the ones I felt with Nick didn't. My answer was clear; why would I go with a guy that’s made me feel unwanted since day one? I wouldn’t, plain and simple, but what would Jorden do when I chose Nick? Did he really and truly care about me, or was I just some new toy to him?

I remembered how upset he'd been when he'd bullied me. His eyes were always sad when he looked at me, but when looking at Nick, they were filled with anger and jealousy. I wanted to think that he didn't want to hurt me, but I couldn't get past him calling me a demon slut. His eyes might've showed his self-disgust when he said it, but the fact is that he said it anyways.

But... hadn't he only attacked me under an ankh's control? Hadn't he tried to stop Evan from throwing me off the bridge in our school? Didn't he fight Nick earlier only when he had pushed me and I'd gotten hurt? 

Another realization shot through me. I loved Nick, but how could I choose him and not break his heart when I told him that we wouldn’t work? I thought back to all the times that Jorden had looked sad when he saw me with Nick and realized that he’d actually liked me all along. This wasn't an act for him. I groaned and dropped my head into my hands.

“Damn them both.”

“Boy problems?”

I jumped and turned to find a girl about my age leaning against the railing next to me. She turned her face and my breath froze in my throat, just as hers did. I was literally looking at a mirror image of myself. The only difference was that the girl next to me had a freckle that sat just outside the corner of her eye. My hand gripped the railing and I closed my eyes, shaking my head hoping that it was just an illusion, but when I peeked back in her direction, I found her still there, still staring.

“You’re just like me.” She stated it like it was the answer to everything and I just nodded.

“Are you an orphan?”