ten

I sat up in my bed, a scream dying from my throat. Multiple sets of hands pushed me back into the bed and I struggled, my head was too dizzy to make sense of the moment. My eyes whipped around and seemed to finally land on three familiar faces. I pushed against the hands restraining me and was surprised to see that my wrists and good ankle were bound down to the bed. Blood coated my arms and it spurred me to grow frantic.

Another scream tore out of my throat and I started thrashing wildly until hands pinned my arm down and there a small pain as the IV was inserted again. An eerie calm settled over me and I sank back into the pillows. Nick’s face was twisted with his concealed tears but both of my parents were crying freely.

“There, everything’s okay. It was just a bad dream.”

A doctor was speaking to me from my right and my head lolled to the side so I could look at him. My eyes caught sight of the blood on my arm again and I frowned. “What happened?”

“You attacked yourself because of whatever you saw in the dream. Speaking of which, what was it about, if you don’t mind my asking.”

“It wasn’t a dream. It was a memory.”

Everyone looked around in horror before looking back at me in sympathy. It was clear that they were worried about what I’d been through to have dreams that were bad enough to make me harm myself in my sleep. I didn’t pay them attention though, but propped my injured leg up, inspecting with my fingers the underside of my thigh beneath the sheets that tangled around my waist.

There was no bump that gave away any sign that glass had impaled me. I already knew that my back was clear since I’d seen in it mirrors plenty of times. Shaking my head, I settled back against the pillows and closed my eyes, watching Danielle carve into my back once again behind my eyes.

“Would you like to talk about it?”

“Unless you have a lawyer, then no.”

There were gasps from my parents and I opened my eyes to see that they understood it was a memory from my adopted parents, but only my mom understood that it was something horrible. She and Nick looked ready to kill someone and I quickly shut my eyes again, trying to stop Danielle’s words from running through my head.

All the nurses and doctor left them room, leaving me alone with my parents and boyfriend. I felt the bed dip as someone sat down by my hip. My eyes cracked open to find my mom sitting before me, her eyes flashing dangerously with her anger.

“Tell me. Now.”

I did, recounting the whole horrid tale and letting them inspect my skin themselves. Nick was fuming, his whole body was still, showing that he was just barely keeping himself in check. I met his gaze, my own full of pain and he pulled me into his arms, sitting on the bed where I’d been sitting and set me on his lap.

“They won’t hurt you ever again.” He buried his face in my hair and continued to whisper to me while rubbing my back soothingly.

“Will you stay here to protect her?” My dad asked Nick after a little muttering with my mom. Nick nodded and my parents left.

“I meant it. You’re not going to ever go unprotected.”

I wound my arms around his waist and tucked my face against the side of his neck. “I know you’re gonna keep me safe. I don’t doubt it.”

He sighed and kissed my head before starting to hum. I started to fall asleep and the next thing I knew, I was woken by a noise, followed by a soft curse. Nick was gone from my side and I saw his silhouette jumping around holding his knee. I covered my mouth with my hand to smother my giggles, but he stopped hopping and looked my way.