64: A Plan

~~~DYLAN~~~

The first bite stings more than expected. She tries to drag me down but there's no drowning a boy who can breath underwater. I try to play to her heart, touching her gently on the arm that holds my leg as her teeth sink further into my skin. I don't struggle or pull away. I can't win by fighting them.

The next one is on me quick. She digs into my arm, her hand clutching my hair, pulling it. OW. But I don't protest. Her eyes stare with evil intent.

I'm sorry for whatever I did to offend you, I think.

Another one. She grabs my other arm, pulling, ripping. They're working together. There's another one now.

They're really trying to kill me. Fear flits into my mind. I can't let it turn into paranoia.

I'm okay, I tell myself. I'm still okay.

Suddenly a pair of eyes come into view - eyes I know.

But they're not Cordelia's. They're much older.

She looks upon me with love and grief. Her presence has an effect on the other mermaids. They pull, bite, and rip harder, anger turning to rage. I start to worry that this frenzy is becoming more than I can handle.

Flopping like a rag doll in their grasp, I close my eyes and feel the pressure change as I'm dragged deeper.

But I'm still breathing.

Please, I want to help you.  I speak silently.

It's dark down here but I can see the blood in the water.

They haven't let up. There's tens of them now, swarming and taking turns, pulling me to peices. For a moment I wonder if I'm going to die.

Then it comes to an end.

Suddenly I don't feel the teeth against my bones, hands squeezing my flesh or the warmth of my own blood against my cold skin. Suddenly, it all goes black and there is no pain.

Time elapses in a strange way. Glimpses of consciousness ebb in and out in my memory. 

When things seem to return to normal I look up to see a hundred eyes peering down on me.

Some faces are expressionless. Others are displeased. One stands out among the rest.

It's Cordelia.

She is one of the only ones that still has a tail. We're on dry land, a sandy beach, and most have willed a trade to human legs.

A hundred eyes follow me as I push up off the ground and move into a sitting position.

"Thank you - for not killing me." I speak and my voice breaks. I caugh, removing the remaining water from my lungs. Maybe they wanted to, but couldn't.

"I'm here to offer my help, if you'll take it." My pause leaves room for a response. They give none.

"I was raised human. I have no interest in taking control of your world. But I've learned I'm inextricably tied to it. This wasn't my choice, it's my obligation. I know you don't want me here-"

"We want your help." Someone says. "You fight so we don't have to."

Agreeant murmurs fill the air. "Send him into battle," "let the vampires take care of him." 

"I don't think any of us have to fight." I state.

This catches their attention. A silence falls as they listen for explanation.

"If we go to war we'll undoubtably lose people. The only way to win is to make peace with the vampires."

The looks I recieve make me feel stupid for what I said.

"That's your big plan?"

"They killed our poeple." Someone protests.

"They'll kill even more if we go to war." I state.

A roar of voices erupts.

I wait for it to die down, and while doing so, Cordelia comes over to me. She touches my skin, brushing her hands softly over my cuts, examining. She then grabs my wrist and lifts my right arm up towards the sky. A large bite is visible just beneath my wrist.

"Blood has been spilt today." She speaks. "You have proven your power. Dylan has proven his loyalty. Let him try his plan, and if he fails, do it your way."

There's a short silence.

"What do we have to lose." One of them mutters.

"Then we'll try it." I say, "I'll meet them in the forest and negotiate an end to war."

"Girls, stand by. Be ready to fight." Someone commands.

"If I'm not back by nightfall, assume I'm dead." I speak.

Cordelia kisses me goodbye. I stand, feeling lighter than usual, and turn for the forest. The others slip back into the ocean.

I gain my balance, walking across the sand. As I pass the first tree and enter the darkness my heart starts beating faster.

Here's hoping the vampires are receptive.