46: Fire

OLIVIA

It starts with yelling. Muffled and distant, but loud enough to cause a stir in me. I sit up in the bed. It's only been an hour or so. I've been trying for sleep, but unable to get past the adrenaline to find it. Now my heart's pumping again. 

Are the vampires back? Did they find the mermonsters?

I mentally prepare for another gruesome kill.

After leaving the room I pad down the hallway. Charlotte's at the door, peaking out.

"What's happening?" I murmur, approaching.

"Fire. I see fire." She breathes, pushing open the door to reveal an orange horizon.

I stare on in awe.

Plumes erupt erratically on the skyline as the ragged edge kisses the darkness. It's beautiful. 

Stepping outside into the cool night air, I scan the 360 around myself, seeing few breaks in the ring of fire that's engulfing meta.

"Let's go." Charlotte says, giving me a shove on the back.

"Where?" I shout over the ever present crackling inferno.

She's starts moving so I follow. 

Soon I see we're not the only ones running for our lives. Silhouettes dart around everywhere, all looking for an escape.

"Where's Adam?" I ask in a heavy breath.

"He didn't come back." She answers.

We're approaching the edge as it approaches us. I now stand so close I can feel the radiant warmth. Thick smoke fogs the air.

"This way!" Charlotte yells, pulling my attention away from the roaring flames.

I dart towards her.

She's found a narrow break. Without hesitation we jump through only to find ourselves confronted by another wall of fire.

A branch snaps from a tall tree, plummeting to the ground in front of us.

We're stopped dead in our tracks as the ground ahead lights up.

"It's all around us. We're stuck." I cry.

Charlotte looks around frantically, then pushes me hard on the shoulder, knocking me to the ground.

I land with a splash.

There's a pit of muddy water.

"Cover yourself." She yells, splashing mud all over her own body.

I race to soak myself, then we lay face down in the liquid, submersing ourselves as best we can. It isn't deep, but it's the only choice we've got.

I pull my shirt up over my nose, filtering the yucky air.

My eyes squeeze tight as the heat approaches. I dunk my face underwater and hope for the best.