Anna:
My son is in my arms. My child. Our baby. Tears streamed down my face as I held him. He looked up at me with wide eyes. He has Kathleen's exact eye color, except for the hazel that sits around his pupil. His head has soft curls and his dark skin has the new baby smell. I've never felt so much love for such a little thing. I just never want to let him go.
"My turn." My mom whispered. I handed her Salix and she gasped as he opened his eyes.
"Wow.." My mother was mesmerized. Everyone huddled over him, which caused him to become fussy.
"You both have created the most beautiful child that I have ever seen." The nurse whispered as she cleaned up the room. We both smiled at her.
"M-may I ask...how?" She asked as she looked at Kathleen and I. We gave her a short summary of what we did and her eyes widened.
"Well, shit." She giggled. I laughed lowly. Salix was slowly passed around the family, and once it reached Delores, someone finally asked.
"Have you both figured out a name yet?" Sofie asked. I looked at Kathleen.
"Well, I was playing around right? And I decided that I would name him after my favorite tree. The Willow tree, but Willow is too girly. So I gave him the scientific name for a willow tree." She explained.
"Salix?" Sofie asked.
"Yes, ma'am. He's gonna have one hell of a long name, though. Salix Blue Lara- Symoné." She answered. My mom gasped and looked at me.
"You're changing your last name?" She asked. I nodded.
"I wouldn't blame you." Sara, sighed. I looked away and blinked back some tears.
"That kid is gonna get made fu-- ow!" I heard Sofie get cut short as Sara flicked her on the forehead. I giggled, and grabbed Salix who was fast asleep. I put him in his little crib and sat down next to Kathleen. We all talked and laughed quietly. Kathleen became tired so everyone started to depart. The doctors moved us to a new room. I offered to push her wheel chair as she held Salix and they let me. We got in the room and set up and I sat on the couch next to Kate's bed and leaned back, watching my son in his crib. Whatever state I was in before was scary. I've never experienced something like that before. Near death experiences. It gave me hope to keep going and to take care of my fiancée and my son, and to take care of myself and to keep pushing.
"You know what I could really go for, right now?" Kate whispered, turning her head slightly so she can look at me.
"What, baby?" I asked.
"A fucking milkshake." She laughed.
"Like vanilla?" I asked her. She nodded.
"I'm not blaming you." I laughed. She hummed.
"Im so glad you're back." She whispered. I nodded, looking down at my hands.
"I was so temped to smack the shit out of you. And then I went into labor." She stated causing me to snort loudly.
"I'm here now. Man. There's been so much shit this year. It's December. There's been pain, I've been arrested at least twice, so many hospital visits. I think Salix here is our little miracle." I babbled. Kate hummed in agreement.
"We've been together for over a year, Anna, and we've gone through so much. Damn. When you love someone, you really do feel their pain." She whispered. I stood up and looked straight into her eyes.
"I love you more than anyone can imagine. And I can't wait to spend forever with you and our children." I whispered, honesty and love in the air. She leaned up and kissed me softly, groaning as she slumped down.
"Does six weeks count for lesbians?" She asked. I trembled with laughter.
"Ask the doctor, sweetie. Not me." I replied.
"At least make out with me, damn. A few months without it really doesn't work well for me." She pouted. I chuckled and leaned down to press my lips against hers. We kissed slowly, passionately, before pulling away from each other. She pecked me again, and pushed me away. I laughed.
"How am I gonna keep my hands off you?" She giggled. I flashed her a smile and she rolled her eyes.
"What a stud!"
After a couple of days, Kathleen and Salix got checked out the hospital. He whined as I put him in his car seat and I sighed.
"We're going home to see your new family now, Blue." I've decided to call him Blue because of his eyes. He seems very alert, looking around when he could. He stared me dead in the eye as I spoke to him. I kissed his forehead, and made sure he was secure in his seat, before going up front. Kathleen strolled to her seat, and I smirked at her.
"Still hurts?" I asked her. She nodded, wincing as she sat down.
"The stitches down there are still raw. And cramps." She huffed. I sat in the drivers seat and started the car, driving off.
"They didn't give you meds?" I asked her, looking at her from the corner of my eye.
"They did, yes. I want to pump first, so I can be extra safe." She replied. I nodded. Better safe than sorry. I kept a smile on my face as I drove home. Since we didn't have a baby shower due to my state. I felt bad because I know she wanted one. So while she was in the hospital I've decided to plan a welcome party. I've invited some of her friends and coworkers, and our family of course. It was last minute, but I know it will make her happy. I drove home and we got out the car. I texted my mom before I got out and helped Kathleen out, before going in the back for Salix. He yawned and looked at me and wiggled his fingers. I grabbed him out his car seat and held him to my chest, and grabbed the baby bag, swinging it over my shoulder. We walked inside and went into the elevator.
"He's so sleepy." Kathleen cooed, touching his nose.
"You are too. I can tell." I whispered. We got out the elevator and walked to our door. Kathleen pulled out the key, and pushed the door open and I smiled widely as her face widened.
"WELCOME HOME!" Everyone exclaimed. I looked down at her and her face was filled with surprise. There was a homemade banner on our wall and blue balloons floating in the air. We walked in and we were greeted by coworkers, and our family.
"This is for the new mommies." Sara squealed as she handed us both a cup, taking her nephew into her hands. Kathleen sipped and moaned. I sipped it too. A vanilla milkshake. I love my family.
"Titi!" I heard my niece squeal, waddling toward me.
"Hey, babygirl." I lifted her up and hugged her. I looked down and saw austin hiding behind his mother's leg. He was diagnosed with severe separation anxiety.
"It's okay, Austin." I whispered to him. His little body crawled toward me and he wrapped his arms around my neck and I smiled. Success. I set them both down and Annabelle grabbed her brothers and they waddled around together.
"Anna." I heard David say. I twisted around and gave him a large hug. My mom smiled, letting go of his hand.
"How are you?" He asked as we pulled back.
"I'm okay I'm okay. How are you?" I asked him.
"I'm good. I'm glad you're okay. Do I get to hold my grandson?" He asked and I froze.
"Don't look so shocked. I see you as a daughter I thought I'd never had, and dating your mother, I've grown close with your family and consider you as my own no matter what. So yes, that is my grandson." David preached. My heart melted and I wrapped my arms around him. He embraced me back, making me feel loved and warmth.
"Come. Come meet him." I sniffed. Everyone was scattered and Kathleen was placed in a large chair with balloons around it. My sister was holding my son and David and I walked toward her. David took my son into his arms and I swear he melted. His eyes softened and Salix looked up at him and his little finger wrapped around David's big one.
"His eyes hold both his mother's souls." David whispered. I looked away, pushing away the hurt that was sneaking on me. My father will never see his grandchild. I see the way David is holding my son, as if it was his grandchild. Not even. As if it was his child. Is it too late to try and fill the empty void that my father has caused with the man that my mother has fallen in love with? My boss? The man that sees me as a daughter?
I felt someone touch my shoulder and I snapped out my daze.
"Hey, you okay?" My mom asked me as she rubbed my arm. I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat. Salix started to cry and I grabbed him, swaying him softly.
"Hey hey, little boy. It's okay." I cooed, holding him. My mom handed me his bottle and I fed him. After burping him, he became drowsy and I walked upstairs into his room. I closed the door and looked around. It's quiet with just him and I. I took a seat on the rocking chair next to his crib and I started to rock back and fourth as I held him.
"You know.." I started, looking up at the Mobil above his bed.
"There's a picture of my father holding me just like this. In my beige and magenta room after your grandma had me. It reminded me of all the good times we used to have when I was younger. Way younger. He changed up on me, though." I sniffed, tears falling down my chin.
"You'll probably meet him when I feel that the time is right, but.." I breathed out as my voice became shaky and high pitch.
"I don't want to be like him. I don't. You don't have a father, or a grandfather. And you're gonna be so confused when you get older. You're going to experience so much.." I cried as I cradled him to my chest. He looked up at me sleepily, his eyes drooping and I sobbed at the cuteness.
"God, I love you so much. I'll never do anything to hurt you. I'll be the best mother, father figure ever. I swear on my fathers grave I will. I'll cry with you and hold you no matter how old you are. Show you how to shave. Play basketball with you. Help you ask a girl out on a date...I'll take care of you and your mama." I sniffed, wiping my face. I took off his little hat and heard him start to whine. I lifted him up, before laying his head on my shoulder and I rocked back and forth. His breathing slowed and I ran my fingers through his silky hair. I kissed his forehead before putting him in his bed, watching as he snuggled in. I wiped my face and opened the door to see my mom standing there, tears running down her face.
"I heard what you were saying to him." She whispered. I wiped her tears as she held me in her arms.
"Everything is okay, now. He's gone." She whispered. I nodded.
Everything will be okay.