Chapter 4

Alfred and Arthur had been hanging out with each other for about a month, now. Since the first movie night, Alfred had actually invited Arthur over once or twice a week. Believe it or not, Arthur was enjoying having Alfred around. The kid was loud, sure, but he was nice. Arthur had never seen Alfred bully someone or try to put them down. The only person he had ever seen him tease was Ivan, but he could tell (as much as Alfred denied it) they were friends. And though Arthur may not have realized it, he and Alfred had also become friends.

"So, I was thinking this time we can watch Birdemic. It's the best worst movie ever made. It's some funny stuff, man."

Alfred said excitedly walking Arthur to his house. They had laid out a schedule of sorts for these movie nights. Arthur had to be home earlier on certain days, and Alfred had student council meetings on Mondays and Wednesdays. But, even if one of them was busy, they would always make sure they did something on Friday.

"I think i've heard of that one. God, it looks awful. They could've used a freaking piece of paper and it would look more real than their CGI."

Arthur groaned. He looked at Alfred and Smiled.

Alfred looked back at him. He didn't get to see Arthur smile too often, it was pretty nice when he did.

"Dude, you need to do that more."

Alfred chuckled.

Arthur tipped his head to the right.

"Do what more?"

Alfred grinned and looked at the pavement.

"Aw, y'know. Just smiling and stuff. You look a whole lot calmer when you do."

Arthur brushed it off with a sarcastic laugh, but really he thought about it for a while. Did Alfred like his smile? Was it just a thinking out loud thing, or was that meant to be a compliment? And since when had he cared what Alfred thought of him? God, he was overthinking this. It doesn't matter either way. Right?

The rest of the walk was pretty quiet until they got to Alfred's house. Once they stepped inside Alfred started running up the stairs.

"I'm gonna go grab the DVD. Be back in a sec!"

He called down.

Arthur put his hands in his pockets, standing in Alfred's dining room. Another kid walked into the room. He was wearing a red and white hoodie with the canadian flag on the back. He looked a lot like Alfred really, though his eyes were a light violet, quite different from Alfred's sky blue eyes. The kid pushed up his glasses and gave a small wave to Arthur.

"Um, hi. You're Arthur, right?"

He asked. He had a quiet voice, almost a whisper really.

Arthur nodded.

"Yep, that's me. I assume you're Matt? Alfred talks about you a lot actually." Arthur said, giving his friends brother a polite smile.

Matt smiled shyly.

"Yeah, Alfred talks a lot about you too."

Before Arthur had time to process that, he heard Alfred bounding down the stairs.

"Got it! Let's get to the basement bro, I still can't believe you haven't seen this yet, this'll be awesome!"

Arthur gave Matt a polite "nice to meet you" before following Alfred into the basement.

The movie was worse than what Arthur had expected, but that made it better. The two boys couldn't help but laugh at every horribly long pause or nowhere near believable CGI bird. Both of them were surprised that Arthur found it enjoyable.

The movie ended with a very long shot of cgi birds flying into the sun. The scene was at least a couple minutes too long, and an awkward silence fell over the two friends. When the scene finally did end the basement became darker now that it had lost the glow of the screen.

Alfred cleared his throat and shifted around.

"So... I guess that's it for this time, huh?"

Arthur shrugged. He was grateful Alfred couldn't see his face, it was starting to warm to a light red.

"Um, yeah, I guess I should get going." Arthur said quietly. He started up the stairs but felt Alfred grab his hand. He stopped, he felt like he was frozen.

"U-um, you don't have to go if you don't want to. You could spend the night if it's okay with your folks."

Arthur shook his head.

"No, I just have to go. I've got homework and..." He trailed off trying to continue up the stairs.

Alfred wouldn't let go easily. He didn't get to invite anyone else over, and for whatever reason, this time he wanted Arthur to stay.

"Dude, it's really no trouble. Seriously-" He put his other hand on Arthur's shoulder. Arthur's eyes widened. Alfred felt Arthur's hand push him down the steps.

"Get your hands OFF of me! I don't want to be here, you idiot!" He snapped.

Alfred watched as he stormed out the front door. He followed him to the front lawn.

"Hey! Arthur, come on! I'm sorry! Arthur!"

He called to the other boy but to no avail. He was already a block away heading towards the bus stop. Alfred stood on his front lawn, his glasses had fallen off and his hair was messed. He watched Arthur until he was out of sight.

"Artie... "