Chapter 12 The Broken Oath

The red truck pulled over to the front of the school as Ashton shifted the gear in park. "Have a good day. I'll be here after school", he told me. I nodded to him and unbuckled my belt, getting out of the vehicle.

As Ashton drove off I noticed that there were two police cars at the front of the school, sitting there, waiting and on high alert.

With another reported murder, the town has gone into a frenzy, including my brother Ashton who, despite my pleas, refused to allow me to walk to school.

I was bummed since I couldn't participate in my daily walks to school with Calum and Beth. After I texted Calum, he understood and said that his mother was not allowing him to walk to school either. Beth, however, never responded. In fact, I haven't spoken to her since she left the party. I figured she may have been sick and might not be at school today.

Luke had also texted me, asking me when our next rehearsal would be. I replied to him saying that, for now, we would probably have it during class time only. I was able to read the tone in his texts that he was not at all scared or worried about these incidents. I guessed that he was, perhaps, putting on a brave face, but the sincerity and the absence of fear seemed to counter that argument.

I finally made my way to my locker, switching out my required supplies for the day when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned, letting my long hair whip around and saw a smiling Calum, hands in his black holed skinny jean pockets.

He smiled to me as he spoke. "How's it going? How does it feel to finally have your childhood ripped out of you". I blushed at his perfect smile as I closed my locker and ran a hand through my hair. "Honestly," I replied, "it feels no different from the year before. Or the one before that. In hind sight, I still feel like an infant". Calum scrunched his eyebrows. "Well you look like one too", he said, placing a hand on my head and rubbing it quickly. I playfully slapped him on the arm. "Hey! For the last time, I am not short. I am just petite". Calum laughed. "Yeah yeah, whatever you say shorty".

I slapped him on the arm again as we walked down the hallway filled with walking students. "Have you heard from Beth"? I shrugged my shoulders at the question. "Nope," I said popping the 'p'. "I think she may be sick. She didn't look like she was all there at the party". Calum shrugged. "I hope she's ok".

The conversation ended there, as Calum and I said our good-bye's and seperated to our assigned class rooms. Another part to Ashton taking me to school, was the fact that he didn't take me until he finally had the nerve to wake up, making me show up to school just a little before the bell rings rather than earlier to converse with my friends.

I walked into my English class with a shocking sight. Rather than what I had expected, Beth's desk was not empty. Part of me even debated if who was currently occupying my friend's seat, was even Beth. She had heavy make up with her blonde hair done in pigtails, and wore a tight navy blue striped crop top that did not hold back on the cleavage show. She also wore a tight white short skirt and black knee boots with a pretty big heel. I stared at the character as I walked to my desk as she smacked her pink bubble bum and continued drawing in her notebook, her legs crossed.

I sat in my assigned spot and looked at the Beth look-a-like sitting next to me. The girl must have sensed my gaze as she turned to me with an annoyed looked. "Whattya want from me? A picture?" She said, smacking her gum again. There was no denying it in the sound of her voice and the face behind the make up. As hard as it was to believe, this was my bestfriend. "Beth?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Beth rolled her eyes at me and continued smacking her gum. "It's Bethany!" She said, venom present in her voice. "What the hell do you want from me"? Confusion continued to spread throughout my mind. "Bethany?" I said, perplexity audible in my voice. "You hate to be called that. I still remember that time you gave Calum a black eye for saying that name for two days". Beth smirked at me at the mention of Calum's name. "Mmm Calum, now there is a juicy piece of meat". I was taken aback by Beth's statement.