Chapter 1

Sometimes pretending to be ok for others, is the worst thing you can do to yourself.
-Chapter 1-
-Eveline's POV-

I allow the cold wind to glide onto my skin between the locks of fur on my chest.

I could do it.

I could run right now. Just one more meter and I'll be across the border line. They wouldn't have enough time to catch up with me and I could be free.

But I can't. Half way through I'd be torn down by rouges, maybe tortured  again. I wouldn't last one day before starving. A bunny would be capable of mauling me out there.

Rose. It's too late now to make that decision anyways. It always has been.

Coming, Alpha. I hesitantly turn around and rush through the bundle of trees. It happened to be the only place where I wasn't surrounded by memories of what it was like before...

The trees begin the spread apart and too soon I'm behind the pack house. It's a large, brick mansion but days like this it was a little too welcoming.

"Rose! I'm sure your aware of the banquet tonight!" Alpha Andrew smiles and greets me with a familiar look of aging. Soon Alyssa will find her mate and he can finally step down from his title. I shift in my naked glory and stare down at my toes. It wasn't unusual to be in front of other wolves without being dressed, we all understood and respected one another for the most part.

"Yes, Alpha," I whisper numbly.

"Good! Your mother didn't want to attend so you get to represent the female warrior beside your dad!" My stomach lurches and my face twists. I don't see a lot of people like I used to, and I can only imagine how they'd treat me like a specimen. A stranger.

"Alpha, I don't think-"

"You are going Eveline, and that's final." I flinch when he calls me by that name, and I know he now realizes his mistake.

"I'll be getting ready." I snap at him harshly and turn on my heel to the front door. The rouge called me Eveline. And he was not worth a single thought of mine, so I clear my head, and swing open the mahogany door.

My bedroom is on the first floor so I take a right and enter. I had a specific dress for such occasions so I pull it out of its cover and put it on.

I take out black flats to match the black lace material of my gown and put my hair in a bun.

What if...I could leave. I'll go right now, instead of taking the permanent title as a rouge, I could take refuge in a further pack. No one would know of my past and I could start over. But, would it be worth it?

My father would be devastated. My mother not so much, and I doubted that my friends had much of a connection with me now anyways. Sure the pack would feel loss for the first week, but that was only natural.

Adrenaline now coursing through my veins, I pull open the window and hike up my dress with my hand. It's now or never.

I jump.