New Year, New Guy

Start from the beginning

“Hey cutie!” he beams as I smile back at him.

“Hey!” I beam back.

“What class you going to now?” he asks putting an arm around me.

“I'm going to choir,” I say taking his arm off me as we walk.

“Same here!”

“You're doing choir?”

“Yeah. Well I'm actually playing the piano.”

“You play the piano?”

“Hey, I have so much swag that you couldn't tell I played.”

“Boy I'm singing. The band room is the other way,” I say pointing in the other direction.

“Girl I'm your piano player,” he says laughing. I laugh too.

“What?” I ask as we reach the door.

“Yeah Boo!”

“Whatever Big J!”

We enter the choir room. I take a seat on the far right and Jamal sits next to me. He scoots his chair closer to me and wraps his arm around me again.

“Can't wait for lunch,” he whispers in my ear.

“Me either 'cause you paying,” I whisper back seductively.

“I like that.” He kisses the back of my ear which sent chills down my back. Jacob never did this. What am I talking about? No boy has ever did this to me. This was so new to me. He was so original to me, and I liked it.

“Geez boy!” I yell. Everybody else looks at me funny. “Sorry.” I hang my head down and smile out of embarrassment. Jamal uses his index finger and puts it on my chin. He slowly lifts my head up and makes it face his eyes.

“What's wrong?” he asks.

“You,” I say.

“Why me?”

“It's just... I just came out of a relationship Jamal. My boyfriend would do little tricks like that. You make me think of him.”

“Well I'll make you forget about him Mami.” My God this boy! Can he be any sexier!

“Ok class pay attention!” yelled a woman's voice. We all stop what we're doing and look at her. “I am the Choir director Ms. Collins. Now I will help your voice progress. Our new piano player Jamal will be here everyday to help. So for now I'm going to help the right side of the room find their place in here.”

She walks over to where me and Jamal were. She tells all of us to come with her. We follow her to a room in the back.

“Here I will take one person at a time and hear how they sound,” said Ms. Collins. “Starting with you.” She was looking at me. I hesitantly follow her in the room. She shuts the door behind her and motions for me to take a seat.

“How well do you read notes?” she asks.

“I don't,” I reply.

“Really? You need to work on that. Now sing me a song you can do on piano.” I think of a song for a while. It then hit me.

“I'm singing Adele Someone Like You,” I say.

“Ok go ahead.”

I've heard that you've settled down

That you found a girl

And you're married now....

After I finish singing I look at her for approval. She claps her hands in approval.