Realizations

It had been two days since they met. Since then, Jason had found out (the hard way) that the rules didn't mean you had to taste their blood, but rather your weapon did.
After that first fight with Yellow, it had been hard to focus. The night he and June met, Yellow died. He didn't know if June killed her, but that wasn't the part that bugged him.

That part was that he didn't know if June didn't kill her. Her scream echoes in his ears every time he closes his eyes.

And the worst part of it all - after finding the list of the dead, Jason learned that if he taps on a color that is no longer alive, a hologram of their face pops up, a thin banner of their color in the background. According to the description, her name was Gloria Campbell.

That night, Jason couldn't bring himself to go back to her and (the thought made him gag) drink her blood.

June had buried their gear, clearing out the knapsacks to use as pillows, then helped Jason to climb up a tree.

They used a makeshift knife (a sharp piece of flint tied to a sturdy stick using grass knots) to slice lengths of vine, using it to tie themselves to the branches, smearing dirt on their skin to blend in, and decided that was their bed.

Jason lay there, wide awake as fear seeped into him.

I didn't kill today.

Jason closed his eyes tight as the sound of Yellow's, Gloria's, he made himself say, scream echoed inside his mind. He made himself hear the sick Thud as the arrow hit her.

Jason looked at his core, looking into it as numbers seemed to appear, then they came more into focus.

11:58

Jason looked upon the number in fear. That must be the time... and the letter said at midnight exactly...

He felt a chill down his spine as the number slowly went up. He started panicking, breaths coming faster and more shallow

11:59

The tears started, threatening to flow freely. Why did I think this was a good idea.. this isn't worth it..

12:00

Jason looked down at his core, expecting to feel a spasm of pain all throughout his veins, sending a prayer to any god willing to listen, and waited for death.

12:01

Jason looked down at his arm, realizing three things.

One - He wasn't dead. And he wasn't going to die.

Two - Kills count for both teammates.

Three - June killed Yel- Gloria.

Jason sat terrified, and closed his eyes, crying silently as fatigue took him to sleep.