:The Werewolf On My Doorstep:15: Promise Me

The Werewolf On My Doorstep

My computer is on the fritz and this was longer, but it didn't save right so I had to rewrite the entire thing and this is all I could come up with right now.

Chapter 15: Promise Me

"Will you be here when I get home?" I ask, frowning at Xavier through the mirror. I just can't imagine why he would be and its taken me all of an hour to work up my courage to ask the question that's been bothering me since I woke up. In every scenario I've run in my mind I never like his answer.

"Of course I will bee." He says it like it was obvious that he's going nowhere, at least for now. But how was I supposed to know it was obvious? Hell, at the moment I'm not even sure if I can believe him. Why would he be here when I get home? Why would he want to be here? Everyone else seems to be bailing on me.

"Right, okay." I go back to brushing my teeth, ignoring the way he watches me and the butterflies the look on his face causes in my stomach. Its not fair that he can have me so nervous when my mind is running a mile a minute.

But with the way things are going I'll come home and he'll have disappeared like he was never here to begin with. I can't believe it, but I honestly think I'd rather him leave now while I'm here rather than have him sneak off after I'm gone.

"Something is bothering you. What is it?" His arms wrap around my waist from behind, one hand settling on my hip and the other gently pulling my toothbrush from my mouth. "Arianna?"

"Nothing's wrong, I'm fine." That has got to be the biggest lie I've ever told in my life. I'm not fine, I'm going crazy. Or maybe, I already was and that's why no one sticks around me for very long. Hell, my mother bailed on me when I was only a baby, so there must be something wrong with me.

"You are lying to me. Why? What is bothering you?" What's bothering me? Everything. I feel like I'm losing my damned mind. Everything thats been happening is just way too much and I don't know how to handle it. I don't know how I'm supposed to handle it, or even if I want to. "Arianna? You can talk to me."

"My dad's not back." He's been gone all night without so much as a phone call and I've got a very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. He'd said he wouldn't be gone long, he'd promised before he left, that everything would be alright. But I don't think it is. Something just doesn't feel right and I have no idea why.

"Your father will be fine. They have no reason to suspect he would be aiding my brother and I. Nothing is going to happen to him. He will be back soon." He sounded so sincere that I wanted to believe him, I truly did. But nothing I did could halt this sense of dread from washing over me. I couldn't stop thinking that something just wasn't right about this.

"Right, you're right. I'm worrying for nothing." Trying to convince myself of that, did not work, no matter how hard I tried. Either something terrible is going to happen sometime soon or I just didn't get enough sleep last night.