“I suppose.” Luke sat down next to me.

We were quiet for a moment.

But it wasn’t uncomfortable, like it had been previously on this tour.

Slowly but surely, Luke and I were getting closer again. I didn’t know if it was healthy for either of us, but what I felt towards Luke was like a chain. It was really hard to break, no matter how hard I’d tried.

“How is…” Luke began at the very same time I said: “What was…”

We stopped, broke off, waited for the other to continue, stayed silent, and then burst into laughter.

This is so like old times.

“You go ahead.” Luke said, finally.

I raised my eyebrows teasingly. “Always the gentleman.”

Luke smoothed his face into an aloof, haughty expression and got to his feet, holding down a hand to help me up.

I giggled, the expression of a nobleman contrasting hilariously with his modern-day shorts, penguin singlet and Converse.

I took his proffered hand, getting fluidly to my feet. Unconsciously, I smoothed my dress. It was a simple mint green calico, sleeveless and collared, stopping just above my knees with worn cream ballet flats on my feet.

Luke bowed, touching his lips lightly to the back of my hand that he was still holding. I fought the blush threatening to stain my face.

“May I have this dance, m’lady?” Luke asked, in a snooty English accent.

My giggles broke free then, but I reigned them in at the mock outrage on Luke’s face.

“Of course, my lord. There’s no one I’d rather dance with than…thee?”

Luke snickered, a smile breaking free of his haughty exterior. But he controlled the act. “Then dance, we shall.”

Then we danced madly, Luke sweeping me around the stage as though I were dressed in the billowing skirts of a princess.

Soon (Luke couldn’t hide his amusement at the absurdity of us), we couldn’t dance any longer, so overcome by laughter.

“Ok, ok.” I gasped out, releasing my hold on Luke’s hand and doubling over. “I can’t breathe.”

I flopped back onto my back, in the same starfish position that Luke had found me in earlier and let my giggles still.

There was a thud as Luke copied me.

We breathed together for a few moments.

“What were you trying to tell me before?” Luke asked, suddenly. His voice was serious now.

I shrugged, which is hard to do as a starfish. “Doesn’t matter. I can’t remember now.”

“You can.” Luke said, easily, rolling onto his stomach and propping himself up with his elbows. “You just don’t want to tell me.”

How the hell could he read me so well?

“It’s been six years, but I still know you better than anyone.” Luke said, watching me as I followed his lead, rolling onto my elbows.

I swallowed, hard, as I realised he didn’t. He didn’t know the truth about my mum…or my past in Melbourne.

“It’s weird.” I said, instead.

“I didn’t expect you to be on this tour.” Luke admitted. “And then you were and it…surprised me. I was always hoping I’d see you again. But I guess I’d thought we’d just slip back into our old pattern, y’know? Like we used to be.”

I sighed, falling back onto my back. “It’s not that simple.”

“Why not?” He pleaded. “We can go back to being best friends. We know all there is to know about the real stuff, we just need to fill in the superficial details. I haven’t changed, Del.”

“But I have.” I sat up, restless. “I’ve changed.”

“Then let’s talk.” Luke was suddenly sitting before me, his face intense. “Talk to me, Delilah.”

I sighed, shaking my head. “It’s not the time or place right now.”

“You always used to say that.” Luke said, sounding hurt. “When you didn’t want to tell me something.”

I looked away, unable to deny his claim.

“Delilah?”

I turned back to face him.

“For what it’s worth…I’m ready to listen to you.”

I blinked. “Thanks.”

“So what did you want to tell me before?” Luke asked, slyly, all the lightness returning to the conversation.

I groaned. “You have a one-track mind!”

He chuckled, moving closer until we were sitting side by side.

“Delilah.” His breath tickled my ear.

I looked at him. We were so close that our breath mingled and our noses almost touched.

“Excuse me!” The obnoxious American voice startled me, making me jerk backwards away from Luke.

Coco was standing with a cocked hip and a sneer on her face, glaring at Luke and I. Peach was copying her action in a slightly less intimidating manner, and Alison stood off to one side looking murderous.

“This is my practice time, brats.” Coco snapped. “So get off my stage!”

“Sorry. Sorry!” I stammered, scrambling to my feet and helping Luke up.

“Good luck for your practice!” Luke called, grabbing my hand and pulling me into the wings.

“Oh, and Delilah!” Alison’s mock polite voice stopped me short. I turned around to see her ‘perfect’ icy smile. “Happy Birthday.”

I didn’t have time to think about the reason for her words as Luke continued to pull me in the direction of his dressing room.

“Woah.” I said, grinding to a halt at the closed door. “I am not going in there. It smells of sweat and boys.”

Luke rolled his eyes. “Stop being such a girl.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “Only because I am one.”

Luke exaggeratedly looked me up and down. “I can tell.”

“Oh shut up.” I swatted him. “Why are we here?”

Instead of answering, Luke just shoved the door open and immediately I was deafened by uneven cheers of “SURPRISE!”

I laughed. I had the best friends ever.

My glance turned to Luke, who’s face was smug.

“Gotcha.” He said, grinning.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I rolled my eyes, turning to see the massive white-chocolate, sprinkle-studded cake. “Wow.”

It was then that I realised, as I was squashed between my friends and eating birthday cake, that I really needed these people in my life.

And it surprised me that that even included Luke.