Chapter Five: The Lioness and the Mouse

Start from the beginning

“I thought you loved me?” I quietly said, looking down to the floor.

“Oh my god,” he groaned, running his fingers through his brown hair. “Seriously, Mabel? You’re gonna pull out the ‘love’ card?”

I stayed silent, glaring at my watch as the long hand moved and now, I had fifteen minutes. C’mon, Ivan!

“It’s not going to work,” he said as he placed more trunks into the counter. “Continue that silent treatment, it won’t work.”

The bell to the door rang and the workers greeted the customer. I glanced over my shoulder only to stiffen as my eyes trained on the black haired beauty waltz into the store. Her amber eyes looked around the store, giving the guys a smile before reverting her attention to Ivan who was still putting the trunks in the counter. She looked beautiful. I don’t know why seeing her always made my heart pound differently in my chest or be awestruck by her. I knew a little of it was from the crush I’ve developed on this girl but it doesn’t explain why I’m always transfixed by her. With her slender body covered in all black, I couldn’t stray my eyes from her. 

She walked closer towards me and with each step, my heart was pounding harder. Another step, my heart seemed to be pounding in my throat. The smell of cigarettes and lavender suddenly invaded my senses as I tore my gaze away from her and looked down at the floor. My sole attention on my worn out Vans seemed to be a fascinating sight for a short moment when a pair of Dr. Marten’s appeared beside me. Warmth radiated from her and seeped onto my left side of my body. I was afraid if I moved an inch away from her that she might notice and think I was repulsed by her but I wasn’t. I could never be repulsed by her?

“Hey, Ivan,” her melodic voice flowed beautifully to my ears. Unlike her dark appearance, she had a sweet voice that deceived her image. 

Yet her voice was entwined with a hardness that could easily replace the melody I was hearing.

Ivan looked up and gave her a smile as he straightened himself. “What brought you here, Kat?”

“I was wondering if you got my board?” She asked taking a step forward only to have her hand brush against mine.

I gasped, feeling the faint tingles shoot up my arm. Kat looked back at me with those gorgeous amber eyes as they narrowed on me before trailing down to my lips. Just seeing her was bringing back the memory of her kissing me and also the regretting look in her eyes afterwards. Having her this close to me was making it uncomfortable especially when my heart is thrashing inside of my chest and my skin had goosebumps just from a light touch. I don’t even want to know what it would feel like if she gave me a hug. Just imagining her arms wrapped around my body made it impossible to get my focus right.

I tore my gaze away from her beautiful face in search of Ivan who seemed to disappear. Moments later, he reappeared from the backroom holding a board already prepared with its trunks and wheels intact and the grip tape placed. I looked at my watch again only to see that another ten minutes had passed. If I couldn’t get to the bookstore then I need to leave this place away from her

“I’m going home, Ivan,” I told him, grabbing his attention.

He smirked, “The bookstore is going to be there tomorrow, Mabel. I’ll give you money so you can buy your books.”

I nodded, grabbing my bag from the floor and headed to the exit. 

Once I stepped outside, I felt the cooling air soothe me though I could still feel myself hot. I couldn’t even be in the same room with her without having my heart react differently and weird tingles exploding inside of my body. Besides that, I couldn’t get those amber eyes out of my head or her voice. I could still hear her greeting Ivan and could still feel her hand brushing against mine. Just the remembrance sent a shiver down my spine.