Seventh

I shook my head and smiled to myself.  What am I even thinking?  Why would I bother myself with her naked finger? 

"Care to share? You looked weird smiling alone, you know." She said smiling at me. 

"Sorry. It was just – urgh Don't mind me." I smiled at her . I asked her for a coffee and she agreed. I asked her number while waiting for our order. We had some bread and coffee together at the nearby cafe. We converse about random topics about politics, her life and few things about me. She is now a marketing director and travelling the world is part of her job. WOW! I never had a chance to know these great things about her last time we met. I'm thankful I still had the chance. 

All throughout, the conversation flowed naturally between us. Well, I made a point that I should be natural in front of her. I should look relax in any possible way. I was glad that she hasn't mentioned yet about her relationship because I'm still not ready to hear it.  When I was confident enough to ask, I initiated to open the topic. 

"So.. Have you tied the knot? Or the wedding date is set?" I asked, the friendliest and happiest tone I could. I smiled nervously while waiting for her answer. She looked puzzled at first then she smiled and shook her head. 

My smile faded.

 My heartbeat changes. It feels like it's pounding violently in my chest. 

We just stared at each other. No one moved an inch for a minute. Silence. All I can hear is my pounding heart. Her smile is slowly fading. 

She shook her head, what is that supposed to mean? Did she found my question silly? Or that was the answer to my question?

I snapped from my blank state. I took a deep breathe and turned my gaze at her. 

"Have you?" I followed up. 

"No. I'm single." She smirked like she was teasing me. 

I playfully glared at her. "Seriously?" I hardly contain my smile. 

She giggled. 

She hasn't answered my question but she made me feel good. Oh God, this woman is driving me crazy. 

"Hey, don't just laughed." I grabbed her hand while catching her gaze. She tried to calm herself and met my eyes. She smiled at me again that made my heart skip a beat. You don't know how your smile can affects me, do you?

"I- I rejected his proposal. But later on, we both realized that we are not really meant for each other." 

My throat got stuck. What should I say? Of course, I am happy that she is still single and my love for her still has a chance. But I had to play it cool. I can't just leap in here and yell that this girl can be mine soon. 

She looked at her watch and turn her gaze back at me. 

"I think I need to go. I almost forgot that I still have some business to attend to." She sound apologetic but in rush. 

"I was hoping to ask you out for dinner. Do you think it would be possible this coming Saturday?" We are waiting for her cab. 

"A date?" She asked teasingly. 

"Well, yes." 

From that very moment, I knew that this was the beginning of our life together. I will certainly make that happen and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with her.  

"See you on Saturday, then." 

- The End.