Chapter 3

Jason stood outside Frank Lucciano’s warehouse.  He took a couple moments to compose himself and go over everything Jackson had told him before stepping in front of the security camera’s view.  For once in his life he was going to do right.  He wasn’t going to screw up because this time his family needed him.  He was always the one who needed money or to be bailed out of some kind of trouble. 

It’s time to step up, Jason! he thought to himself.  He wiped his sweaty hands on his jeans, rang the buzzer then looked confidently at the security camera.  The door clicked allowing him to open and slip inside.  His feet echoed down the corridor as he made the short walk to the main building.  As he rounded the corner the sight he saw before him made him want to turn and bolt out of the warehouse and go into hiding. 

Frank stood in the middle of the open warehouse.  He had three of his men flanking each side of him. All were armed.  He saw one of the guards that had been at the meeting last night sitting in the chair directly in front of them. He was bleeding from his head and lip.

What the fuck! He knows, he fucking knows! NO! Calm down, Jason! Remember what Jackson said. Act confident, it’s all about acting confident in your words. Jason fought internally. 

“Jason, I am so glad you graced us with your presence. Why don’t you have a seat next to Glen?” Frank gestured to one of his men to get a chair and place it next to the bleeding man. 

“Hey Frank. Thanks.” Jason replied walking over to the chair. He surprised himself at how calm he sounded.  He saw the curiosity in Frank’s eyes for a split second before his serious façade took over.  Frank walked to the back of Jason’s chair and put one hand on his shoulder.

“I am a bit perturbed at the outcome of the meeting you attended last night.  One of my best and useful men dead and one not so useful man dead, and you no where to be found.  Can you please explain to me what the hell happened?” Frank gripped his shoulder tighter at the end of his question.  Jason swallowed, gathered all the confidence he had and turned and look Frank in the eye.

“Frank, I have no clue.  Me and Eddie opened the gate, no one was around.  Eddie put in the code while I was on the look out; we went inside to make the transaction.  We were almost done then the supplier’s radio went off, yelling something about cops.  This guy flipped out and started accusing us of being narcs and then he shot Eddie.  I ran and hid behind some crates and didn’t see much.  After the firing and footstep quieted down I went out and saw that Eddie was dead.  He was the only other body I saw.  When I heard the sirens get closer I climbed to the roof to hide out until they went inside then climbed down the side latter and hid out.  Too be honest with you Frank, I didn’t know if they had someone following me so I hid out until now.” Jason leaned back in his chair.  Frank walked over to stand directly in front of Glen. 

“Is that what happened, Glen?”  He nodded quickly in reply.  Frank walked in a slow circle.  He looked to be deep in thought.  Jason silently prayed that he believed his story.

“It seems to me that the one responsible for what unfolded last night received his punishment by being shot to death.  Glen, your job was to protect Derrik.  He was very valuable to me.  As you know he was in charge of collecting the girls I needed for Westeroff.  You, Glen didn’t do your job did you?” Frank glared at him.  Glen shrunk down in his seat.  Fear took over his body as he began to tremble uncontrollably.