Chapter 18: Coming Home

A/N: So I am planning this to be a back to back update but knowing me that might now happen so enjoy guys!

Disclaimer: I own none of Batman, DC or Warner Bros stories or characters. I am just borrowing them. Kayne, however, is mine so if I see any replications of my stories I will hunt you down.

A week passed and Kayne slowly kicked Bruce out of her physical therapies more and more. His protests caused her to reply with a sharp, “I want to surprise you on Friday!” and a shove out the door. This frustrated him but gave him a chance to work on some files that Alfred gave him from work.

The doctors stopped the acupuncture, and shock therapy to revive the muscles. Whatever muscles aren’t moving now would be lost. Kayne seems to have gotten a hand on her leg’s reactions. She didn’t need Bruce’s help to move around in the bed anymore, but walking around was still an issue.

Bruce still brought food to her but she rarely ate it except for the fries. December 21st, the last Friday before Christmas, rolled around before Bruce could blink. He got about three pages of work done and gained days worth of sleep. When the day rolled around for Kayne’s evaluation, quite a few people showed up.

Alfred, obviously, was one of them. He showed up with a plate of cookies and a balloon attached to it. “I wanted to bring roses but knowing Kayne she would have wanted food.” Alfred murmurs to Bruce, placing it on the ICU counter.

“You can say that again.” House mutters behind the desk. Normally House worked night shifts, but just for today she found a mix up in her schedule for day. Everyone knew she put in for that but she kept denying it. “She eats like a hyena.”

“Then why do you keep buying her snacks from the vending machines?” Bruce questions, looking at House knowingly. “I don’t.” She grumbles, turning away to type at the computer.

“Lucius should be here soon. He asked if he could come. I said yes in a heart beat.”  Alfred announces, drawing the subject away from House’s not-so-secret gifts to Kayne.

Almost as if on cue, the elevator dinged and Lucius Fox stepped out. “Mr. Fox, it is has been some time since we have last seen each other. Did Alfred give you my idea outline?” Bruce greets, grasping Fox’s hand and shaking it.

“Yes he did. It’s a very interesting idea but what gave you the idea to make it? I thought you were totally and completely against the idea.” Fox questions, tilting his head as he tucks his hands in to his suit pockets.

“Things change.” Bruce comments, casually shrugging his shoulder.

“I think ‘things’ might be a nickname for a little girl named after a candy.” House whispers not so softly from behind her desk, not even glancing up from the computer.

Bruce just shoots her a glare as she types away. “Anyway, Commissioner Gordon said he would be here for Kayne’s rehabilitation test. Kayne is waiting for us in the rehab gym, so have any of you heard or seen the commissioner?”

The elevator door rang once more and out stepped a girl with long red hair and phone in hand. Gordon followed very close behind her. The girl wasn’t so hard to identify; despite the blazing red head you could see the facial structure in both of them. It is Commissioner Gordon’s daughter.

“Sorry I am late. The wife wanted me to watch Barbra today since no one would be home, so I had to round her up.” Gordon excuses, placing a hand on Barbra’s shoulder. She glances at it, contemplating whether to shrug it off or not.

“Barbra say hello to Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, and Lucius Fox.” Gordon introduces gesturing towards the group in question.

She raises her eyes off her phone and flicks a smile and a wave. She shuts her phone closed and places it in her pant pocket. “Hello Mr. Wayne, Pennyworth and Fox. It is nice to meet you.” She greets formally and automatically.