Chapter 31 - Tales of a Date

Start from the beginning

"Were you even friends with him?" I ask, wondering if Mum would be able to understand.

Her sad smile says it all. "We were in the theatre group together. Yes, we were close."

"We are close, too," I tell her. "I think I'm his only friend, but he doesn't want a relationship. I haven't even confessed and he's rejected me twice."

Mum frowns, not really understanding what I mean so I have to look for better words. "I guess I don't know how to hide my feelings and he isn't that oblivious or cliché, he notices it. And he's let me know he doesn't see me as anything but a friend." I look at her, feeling my eyes burning with tears that want to come out, but I don't allow it. "It hurts."

"My baby Ann!" Mum whines, standing up and coming to my side to give me a tight hug. "That's why you agreed to date Charlie today, to forget him, didn't you?" I only nod, holding on to her as tightly. "But it didn't work out. What a pity. Did Charlie even know about this?"

"It was his idea, to help me moving on." I explain and I can feel her nodding.

"What a good boy, but it is one thing to push things a bit, another thing entirely different is to force them. At least you agreed to stay as friends and gave him a chance, you can't regret that, right?" Mum pulls back a bit, holding my shoulders. I look up and encounter her big smile. "You'll have to be patient, my dear. Only time will take that pain away, you won't even realise when it'll stop hurting. You just have to endure it. You still have many things to distract yourself with, so you'll be fine. You have friends, and a job you're doing wonderfully at," she reminds me and she sounds so proud when saying the last part.

"I don't know about the last part, but I'm trying my best."

"And that's enough, Ann. More than enough." Mum smiles happily. "Now let me make you a cuppa and you can go to bed. You have a busy week ahead, don't you? You need to get rest. Tomorrow you can sleep in all you want."

"Thank you, Mum." I state and she replies just with a big smile before kissing the top of my head.

She does make me tea and I go to bed after that. The rest of the weekend passes by like that, in the comfort of my home. Sooner than I'd like, I'm back to work. The exhausting meetings, the difficult people and all those details I have to take care of. I have a headache by Monday noon already. I can only drop by the set in the afternoon.

Cece called me on Sunday, asking about the date, but then immediately after told me to forget it. He wanted to hear it in person when we saw each other. He really wanted to visit me at home, but the crew was busy that day with a night shoot, so Cece couldn't really come to my house just to ask me about my date with Charlie. That is why the moment he finds out I'm on set, he comes running to me.

"Ann!" he screams, literally. I hear him before I see him, and I only get a second to react before he engulfs me in his arms. "I missed you! You're lucky you have an office schedule." he sighs.

When he pulls back I can notice his tired expression. His face looks flawless, because he's a makeup artist, but he can't cover the exhausted look of his eyes or the way even his smile isn't as bright. He can't cover either the way his shoulders round. I'm not surprised to see him like that because I know they've been working since yesterday's evening, with probably short breaks just to nap or so, not enough to take a proper rest.

I need to make sure they have a break soon, they've been working so hard.

"I'm sorry it can't be the same for you." I say. "I shouldn't have allowed the night shoot, but Jerry insisted they needed to catch up and it was fundamental unless we wanted to stay behind with schedule. I'm deeply sorry." I insist, even bowing although I know it isn't necessary.