Hey Aren't You Vincent's Best Friend?

Nyla's P.O.V (Point of View)

"Bye mom! I'm leaving!" I yell from where I stand, half way out the door.

"Okay Nyla, have a great first day!" She calls back.

I adjust my backpack over my shoulder and get my bike from the garage, swinging my leg over the seat and pedal down the side walk to my best friend's house.

Avery, my best friend since grade school, lives two minutes away from me and we had spent most of the summer with each other, since we were so close, literally and emotionally.

I park outside her house with Menace, my bike, and went inside. In the mornings on school days, her mom always left the door unlocked because she knew I would be coming to pick up Avery. Our families are really close, and my mom and her mom gossip on the phone all the time.

I go up the stairs to find Avery still in bed, snoring away in a mound of blankets with her alarm clock plug pulled out.

I sigh, knowing nothing I say will be able to wake her up, so instead I grab the glass of water she keeps by her nightstand, dump out the luke-warm water in her bathroom, filling it back up with ice cold water instead. I go into her room and pull the blankets away from her body, dumping the water all over her with no mercy.

Avery sits up gasping, her dirty blonde hair soaked and her blue eyes wide with surprise. I run out of the room laughing, knowing full well that she would get her revenge sooner or later. But the look on her face was worth it.

Dumping water on Avery is usually the only way I get her to wake up, but sometimes I get the dog to wake her up for me.

Toby, Avery's dog that she's had since before she was born, is a former search and rescue dog that her dad picked up from the shelter. Toby was out of the business because he lost one of his ears while trying to pull a little boy out from a fire, but he was still a great dog and was still young, with tons of energy left inside him.

I go into their garage and pull out Avery's purple bike, which she still hasn't found a name for, and park it beside mine in the driveway. I close the garage door and check my messages on my new iPhone 5 that I got for my fifteenth birthday, which was in June, two months ago. It was September now, the first day of grade ten, and I didn't want to be late for first period.

Five minutes later, Avery came bounding down the porch steps, throwing her hair into a ponytail with a Nutella sandwich in her mouth.

She sat on her bike and turned to me.

"Let's ride." She said. I grinned and nodded, getting on Menace and leading the way.

Avery turned her bike with one hand, eating her Nutella sandwich in the other. Both of us were skilled bike riders, and could do a bunch of tricks with our bikes, including riding with one hand.

We practised all summer, riding our bikes to and from the park whenever we could and searching up tricks that we could learn online until we were perfect. I also learned how to ride a skateboard.

When we got to the school, we put our bikes in the stand and locked them, then got our bags and walked to the front door. Both Avery and I were pretty popular, Avery because of her looks and brains, me because of my looks and personality. I was average on the smart side, while Avery was a whiz. She was pretty shy around new people, so she wasn't known for her outgoing self, but people respected her because she was your ideal girl: pretty and smart.

I was more popular because of my personality, I was really bubbly and fun, I was friendly to everyone and liked making friends. I was also fairly pretty, with my flawless skin, soft light brown hair and hazel eyes.