Chapter One

| Your POV |

It's the first day of your winter vacation. You're not exactly happy about it, but you're not sad, either. Whether you're at school or home, everything is the same. Same routine from morning to night. You just want something more.

But you never get your wish.

You leave your house and step onto the icy sidewalk outside. The frigid air makes you pull your jacket tighter around you. You take a deep breath in and let it out slowly, watching your breath disappear. You start walking slowly, admiring the sunset overhead. The soft orange and pink sky brought a sense of calming through you; mostly because of what you anticipate afterwards.

Finally, you reach your destination. A small park bench beside the playground. The playground is empty and it is peacefully quiet, other than the occasional sound of cars from the highway a few streets down. You sit back on the bench and lean your head back to observe what you love.

The stars.

Everyday they were different. There were less, there were more; they were bright, they were dim; they were twinkling, they were calm. And everyday the beauty of it takes your breath away. Tonight, they're bright and twinkling. And top it all off, there are even more visible than usual. Your calming thoughts are interrupted by a grumble of annoyance and a plopping sound of a body against the bench. You can't help but jump. No one ever comes down here. Especially during the cold months!

You turn your head slightly and see a dark haired boy sitting at the far end of your bench. His hood is up, his hands shoved deep in the pockets of his jacket. He's looking at the ground.

You turn your attention back up again, but now it's hard to even concentrate. His deep, angry breaths were disrupting the silence. You bite down on your lip. Don't do it. Don't. You turn your head. "Hey. Are you okay?"

The boy doesn't look at you. "Yeah. I'm perfectly fine," He says harshly.

You blink. "Okay. . . well, you don't sound fine to me." He doesn't respond. You stand up. "I'll leave you alone, then. Especially since you just made everything awkward. It helps to look up at the stars. Change is always a good thing."

He watches you as you walk off. When you disappear into the darkness, he shakes his head and stands up.