Chapter 9

I'm so sorry it took so long I had major writers block//

“Alice, where is he?” Jewels asked a lady who looked a bit older than me.
She was decked out in black protective gear and had a gun tied tightly to her hip. Her blonde hair was tied back and her piercing eyes reflected Jewels’.

We walked into the hospital wing. The huge glass doors swung closed just as fast as they opened for us. The whole place was white like the rest of the building. There were scattered agents moving all over the place. They all seemed to know what they were doing, all but Sam. He just sat down in a conveniently placed chair, rested his elbows on his knees, and held his head in his hands.

“We don’t know where he is, ma’am, but he’s armed. He has a gun,” Alice, the guard, told Jewels.

“How did he get a gun?” Jewels asked. The poor guard was stumbling for an answer.

“How did he get a gun?” Jewels asked, raising her voice far more than she needed to.

“How do you think?’ Alice finally retorted. “He’s fast. We weren’t able to get anyone into the basement until after he left and apparently he left with a gun.”

“We know he is fast. Sam here knows that better than anyone and now the rest of you do too. This is an infiltration unlike anything we have ever dealt with.”

While Jewels was talking I watched Sam flinch like something was going to hit him, but nothing was there but the cold, biting air of this all too familiar building.

“I’m afraid to ask, but, ma’am, we work in witness protection. How is this any different?”

“This is up close and personal and instead of with a victim, this is with one of your co-workers,” Jewels explained.

I knew Sam was far from okay. His eyes were darting around the room. He was trying to find something to focus on but it wasn’t working. His mind was racing, panicking, and doubting. He seemed out of place. I wanted to help him, but situations like this were always the other way around. I knelt down in front of him, reached my hands out, and placed them on either side of his face.  

“Hey, look at me,” I whispered, hoping only he could hear.

“Calm down, You are going to be okay, I promise. You might think you you couldn’t be in a more dangerou, more terrifying situation, but the truth is you couldn’t be in a safer place. Everyone here is on your side. Your father is out numbered 100 to one.”

I stared into his distant eyes. He swiftly pulled me into his chest, between his legs, and pressed his face to my shoulder.

“Thank you,” he mumbled almost inaudibly.

“I know you'd do the same,” I whispered.

“Do you have one more fight left in you?” I asked, leaning back slightly to look at him.

“I will fight as many times as I have to as its for you,” he said. His words brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to tell him today I was supposed to protect him, but I stopped myself. I pressed my lips ever so slightly to his, and hugged him tightly for a few moments that didn’t feel long enough. Then I stood up and held my hands out to help him up with me. The light returned to his eyes and hid the fear I could see all too well. All of the sudden over Sam’s shoulder I saw familiar ginger hair.

“CC!” I exclaimed, involuntarily.
She spun around on her heel and her eyes searched for me. As soon as she spotted me I ran up to her and gave her a gentle hug because she had a on foam neck brace.

“Are you okay?” I asked, anxiously.  

“Yeah, I’m good. I just am stuck in this for awhile,” she said gesturing to her neck brace.

“What about you?”

“A little on edge, but other than that I’m perfectly fine,” I replied.

“Selene!” Sam called me from across the room.

“That’s my que,” I said to CC.
“‘Kay, talk to you in a bit,” she said before I hugged her again and walked over to Sam who was standing with Jewels and Alice.

“I’m afraid I have bad news,” Alice said.

“Well, then spit it out,” Jewels said, sharply.

“Hey, Jewels, I mean Mom,” I corrected myself. “Be nicer. She’s on your side. Alice, please continue.”
Alice grew nervous and searched for words.

“We just received word that he has reached this floor,” Alice informed us, not making eyes contact.
Jewels eyes nearly shot out of her head. She ran a few steps to the hospital wing doors, and hit a button on the wall just to the said.

“This wing is on lockdown!” Jewels shouted to everyone in ear shot.

“Everyone on high alert. This floor has been infiltrated.”
I watched Sam’s countenance change. He stood up straighter and moved his shoulders back slightly.

"Alice, I need a gun,” Sam said.
Sure enough, she disappeared and reappeared with a small black gun. He took it, thank her, and stuck in his back pocket. It always baffled me how he did that.

“Now what?” I asked Sam after Alice and Jewels walked away.

“Well, part of me wants to wait for him to show up, part of me wants to go and find him, and part of me want to do absolutely nothing,” Sam explained.

“Man, there are a lot of parts to you,” I replied sarcastically.

“You would know.”

“Shut up!” I replied, crossing my arms.

“Glad you’re feeling better,” I said.

“Me too.”

That’s when it happened. That’s when I saw it. I saw the gun. I has no idea who had the gun; I just knew where it was pointed. It was pointed at Sam. I quickly stepped in front of Sam with my back to the gun. I only had seconds to see Sam stare at me with a confused look on his face. I heard the gunfire.

“I’m sorry, but I promised,” I whispered as seconds began to feel like minutes. I expected to feel the pain in my back, but instead the bullet placed itself in my head. I collapsed to the ground. How ironic, the organ I studied for two years in college would come to be the death of me.

Sam didn’t realise what was going on until it was too late. He shot the mysterious owner of the gun and threw the gun across the room.  Sam fell to his knees beside me and held me on the ground. I didn’t know if killing that person was legal, but I didn’t care. If he someone hurt me they might as well have hurt Sam. If the shot was any lower than it would have hit my brain stem and I would have died instantly. Maybe that would have been better than this because my body was overcome by pain.

“No, no, no! You can’t die! You are gonna be okay,” Sam stuttered.
Sam sat me up carefully so he could inspect my wound. He traced the edge of the bullet hole with his finger. He grabbed some sort of cloth from somewhere and pressed it to my head as an attempt to stop the bleeding. I would have told him it was no use, but I knew I was to far gone to even talk.

“C’mon, hang in there. The ambulance is coming. You can make it,” Sam mumbled. I saw a single tear roll down his cheek and land on mine.

"Selene, I love you," Sam whispered. Those where the last words I heard him say. The last words I would ever hear anyone say. I stared at the face of the only man I had ever loved one last time and I knew then that I was finally complete.

//please hang in there there are three more chapters I promise//