Chapter 3

I still hadn't gotten over the fact that it's him. After he greeted me, he went over to Jewels. He kicked up a small conversation with her. Had he been here this whole time? I wondered. I realized the lady behind the counter had disappeared, momentarily distracting me from Sam.

Jewels said one last thing to Sam and then started off the long hallway. I watched her walked away until I realized Sam was staring at me. I turned to him with a scowl on my face.

"What the heck are you doing here?" I shouted, not caring who heard me. If he thought he thought he was gonna get away with this he was anything but right.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry," he said.

"You don't honestly think I can forgive you do you? Just like that?"

"Well I was hoping-"

I cut him off, sharply, "Somethings never change."

"But I want them to, Selene!" he shouted.

"Oh really? Since when?" I asked, angrily.

"I always have. I just never could," he said but his voice trailed off. I built up courage to take a step closer to him.

"You better keep talking, Sam. Don't keep anything else from me!" I said, irritated.

"That's just it. I wanted to tell you everything, but I couldn't," he tried to explain.

"I'm not gonna buy that. You broke up with me with no reason why," I stated.

"No, It's not like that. It's not like there was no reason why. It's that I could never tell you why," he tried to defend himself. "I couldn't tell you about the other half of life. I couldn't tell you about the agency and they forced me to lie to you. It killed me to keep things from you. So I made myself end it."

I didn't know what to say. I put on my poker face. I fell in love with him, but i didn't want to forgive him. Problem is I didn't know how to stop myself from forgiving him.

"You want me to pretend that our little fight never happened, and that everything is fine between us?" I asked, unsure of myself.

"No, but I want to fix things. I want to make things better not ignore that they happened. I can't expect you to ignore that I screwed up as bad as I did, but it won't happen again. Now that you know about all this, the only thing i kept from you, there's no reason for it to happen again. And right now, your safety is my priority," Sam retaliated.

"Oh, right, my safety," I said, reluctantly. The least i can do is give him the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't mean I forgive him, just that I don't hate him.

"Are you scared?" he asked me.

"More like terrified. How come you seem fine?" I asked.

"Because," he reached out to touch me but quickly stopped himself, "this is my job. Axel is a dangerous man and I need to protect you."

"Well, you could have been there the last five months," I said sarcastically.

"I know. I wanted to be, but Jewels wouldn't let me," he mumbled as he started at the floor.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing," he said quickly, "All that matters is that I'm here now."

He grabbed my hand. It felt normal, almost right, but I wasn't gonna allow myself to feel this way.

"Okay look. I don't know what you're gonna think of this, but um... So as you know I am your protector, well actually I am not your only protector, but you'll meet her later. So we are suppose to pretend to be a married couple so that it makes sense for us to always be together," Sam explained. He was blushing the entire time he spoke, but it was like an embarrassed blush.